Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Venom winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom winch

It is where your problem resides [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You need to connect that Red wire with the Butt connector to a 12 source. I simply spliced mine into the positive (red wire) going to my 12V accessory plug. So that way - when I turn the quad off, the winch is disabled.

So since this is EFFECTIVELY a Warn winch ... here is the link
Warn Install Manual Link

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: yotatrailrunner

The venom winchs are the same ones warn used to sell a few years ago.</end quote></div>

After Yota said this.. I quickly hopped online... and yeah... the Venom winches looks EXACTLY the same as my Warn 2.5ci. Hahaha! Too funny!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Venom winch

Well that was it.. I ran a wire from the butt connector to the power switch and spliced it in. Now all I need is some loom to cover the wires.

thanks for the help

Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Venom winch

I bought my BIL a Venom 2500# winch 2 months ago when he helped me move into my new house.

We have used it in some pretty nasty stuff and it always works and works well. That's what really matters as it doesn't matter how much you pay if it doesn't work when you need it.

I just ordered 2 3000# venom winches for my 700 and the wife's 450.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Venom winch

Part of helping a winch (any brand) live a long life is to use it correctly! Just like any other tool...

I have seen people take the wire cable, wrap it around a tree and back on to the cable... not good for cable and definitely not good for tree.. Tree saver straps are cheap $15 bucks at best!

I know your roller fairlead has rollers so technically you can pull at any angle... So not true.... The Top and Bottom rollers are the only ones you should truly use... the Best way is to do a straight pull on that cable ALL the time! Unless there is no possible way for you to re-direct the line - that is what ****** blocks / pulleys are for. One of the main reasons winches BIND up is because the winch cable is loaded up on one side of the drum - which will destroy any winch! Warn Venom, Viper, Super, Ramsey.etc..

Also.... Some people think just because they have that 2,500 or 3,000 pound winch that they can just leave the quad in the muck and just completely use the winch power to pull it out! This is why winches get burnt up... It most cases it will.. but why not help it along by using the throttle?

After any heavy winching session... it is good to pull that cable all the way out... rinse it down if needed and wind it back up so it is nice and even on the drum! I usually do this with the quad on slight downhill pulling the quad uphill and with a good pair of gloves and my cable remote - winch it in slowly...

Grease is your best friend - meaning at least once a year - rip down that winch... clean it up... and put some fresh grease it is... ESPECIALLY if you are in the mud/water all the time... some of these newer winches are water-tight, but even if I owned one... once a year - apart - clean - new grease.

ok.. I am done ranting for now :-p

Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Venom winch

Rants are always welcome.. I've learned alot from "rants". It's sorta like speeding through a neighborhood and not having kids.. until you have one, you truly don't know the ramifications of doing it.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Venom winch

After every ride, we take my BIL's winch and spool it out all the way, hose it off, dry it, and then hit it with some WD-40. It keeps it looking good and working well.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default Venom winch

Took the wolvy out this weekend and we did 60miles of trail riding at our local park. My buddy hit a deep hole with his Polaris and got stuck which gave me time to try out the new 3000.

Hooked up and started to pull him in.. it didn't seem like it wanted to budge. It acted like it didn't have enough power to pull the winch back or it was over heating. I would back off the winch button and it would do good then act up again.

Sooo, my question is this. When i first wired it, we ran the hot and ground to the solenoid block of the wolverine rather than straight to the battery since it appeared that the hot and ground was going to the block anyway. Do you think that block restricts full amps from the battery?

Where is your hot wire tied into?

Jamie

Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Venom winch

Answer to your question is NO, the Block does not restrict full amps, but rather ALLOWS full amps...

You call it the Solenoid block - I call it the Contactor -- same thing - different name...

Your Winch came with 4 big Wires then the Rocker switch that mounts to the handlebar. See Page 5 - FIGURE 11 of the WARN Manual link I posted in a previous reply.

In my case the 4 big wires where

BLUE/YELLOW (Pos/Neg wires TO the Winch FROM Contactor)
RED/BLACK (Pos/Neg wires TO the Contactor FROM the Battery)

Then you have a BLACK / GREEN / RED wires (smaller gauge) going to the Rocker switch. The BLACK/GREEN connect to the small wires on the Contactor. The Red ties into your +12V that should be switched (meaning if you turn the quad off, you remove the power from the Rocker)

The reason for the Contactor is it ALLOWS you to pass the voltage directly from the battery to the Winch. TYou control how the Contactor does this by pressing the Rocker switch in and out.

So my question is this...

----&gt; Was your buddy on his quad in 4x4 trying to help move his quad out of the Muck?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default Venom winch

Yea, he was assisting. It wasn't a dead pull. We had a dirt bike rider with us and he got stuck going up the mountain. I tried to pull him with the winch as two guys were pushing and the winch pulling and it acted like it was straining..I was doing more by pulling the cable and allowing the slack to wind it self back into the fair lead. Which worried me because If I got stuck I dunno if the winch would be able to get me out.

On the wolverine, you have the battery, then in the "tool box" you have a contactor/solenoid that is fed off the battery. (This is stock, not winch related) I tied my main power and ground off that contactor/solenoid rather than trying to tie into side post battery cable. Do you think doing this is restricting the full amps I need for the winch?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Venom winch

Tie the BLACK and RED wires going to the Winch contactor DIRECTLY to the Battery...

You might need longer bolts to attach those to the battery, I did. Also remember - the battery is most likely Metric hardware - very easy to find at most hardware stores.

Quick Reply: Venom winch