Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Engine Knock or Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knock or Rattle?

Purchased a 2001 Kodiak last month.

It sat for 2 years and the previous owner had just got it running again by cleaning out the carb.

I picked it up for cheap and I have changed all the fluids. I am also going through and checking all the pads, bearings, and joints.

Found the float bowl gasket was leaking as it was pinched outside the groove most likely from previous owner getting it running.

It appears to be completely stock.

MY QUESTION: Above 3/4 throttle regardless of speed I can hear this like knocking or rattling. I can really hear it if I put my head down by the gas tank. It sounds like it is internal to the engine since it is throttle dependent. It is missing a bolt in the bottom of the muffler (clean out plug?) and there is exhaust coming out of there. The foam air filter and airbox are stock, but the filter looks a little dry (lack of filter oil?).

Could a stock ATV run lean? Is there anything that anything that I could check or change?

I was going to check the plug when I get my new one, the manual says it should be a light tan?

I do not have any bogging or lack of power issues even with the sound, I can get to 50mph no problem, I can just hear it if I apply the throttle more than 3/4. I have had it back fire (or should I say pop in the exhaust) twice on me so far, once when I had it WOT and let off and a few seconds later when coasting (engine braking) no throttle applied. The other was I was revving it up in neutral trying to get it to make this noise and I let go of the throttle quickly. This would say to me taht it is getting a little to much fuel if it keeps burning in the exhaust to pop?

I have also read in past threads that these engines in the kodiak and grizzly are noisy, could this sound be normal?

Thank You for the help,
Nate

Old 06-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I may have found a method to test that could help me out. I did a search for jetting. One of the threads happened to be about the Banshee, which had a link to a good site about jetting.

It said "if you think it is running lean after checking the plug , try applying the choke just partially." This should richen it up.

Since the choke lever is mounted on the handle bars I am going to try applying the choke very slowly while I am crusing at about 45mph and hear the noise.

I believe if the noise changes or goes away as I slowly apply the choke then I should know it is running lean. If the noise does not change and it starts to bog right away then I should know that it is not an issue with running lean.

If anyone has any input on this or any more advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nate

Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

If it poped or back fired after letting off the throttle the most likely it's lean. My kodiak did the same thing. To fix it all it needed was to increase the fuel screw. It's on the engine side of the carb. It might still have a plug block the adjustment screw. You"ll need to pry it out then turn your screwout about 1/2 turn and then take it for a ride. Let off the throttle and if it still pops turn it out some more. If you have to go out more than three turn then you need a bigger pilot jet. Also make sure the bolts holding down the carb are tight and not allowing air to seep inside. Your right about yamahas being a little noise. I just bought a new 700 and it sometimes sounds like someone poured a bunch of ball bearings in there. That bolt on the muffler that missing is also part of the reason it's running lean, I'd replace that also. Good luck

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Camo Kodiak. I took your suggestion and turned the screw at the very front bottom of the carb on the engine side. I turned it out (counter clockwise) 1/2 turn per your suggestion. Unfortunatly this did not help with the occassional pop I get out the exhaust after I have gone to WOT and Let off very quickly, so I will try maybe another 1/2 a turn tonight. Thanks for letting me know about that screw. Plus it did help a tad with my top speed, I can now just barely hit 50 where as before I was just short.

As for an update on the knocking or rattle noise, I am pretty sure that I have tracked it down as being inside the belt housing. I tried running with the choke on all different levels, even fully on, and it did not make the noise go away, so I am pretty sure that rules out the engine. Also I pretty sure it is louder when you stick your head by that side of the engine that has the belt cover on it.

So I wanted to ask and make sure that it was alright if i remove the cover and took it up and down my driveway without doing any harm? I do not think it is any big deal, but I thought I would double check with the experts.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Did you ever think of having the valves adjusted. I bet that is what is making the noise under load

Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

As far as the knocking/tapping sound, I have had two Kodiaks: a 2001 previously and now a 2005. Both had that tapping noise. most notably at high speeds. After talking to two local shops, they both said it seems fairly normal for the Kodiaks to tap. I haven't had engine problems on either. I estimate my 01 to have had about 7000 miles when I got rid of it. The 05 now has 2500 miles.
Buck