Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K&N filter ,jet kit for OO Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of buying a KN filter and jet kit for my Kodiak from Rocky mountain atv. What are the pros and cons? Is the jet kit hard to install or tricky to get "just right"? Also is it worth the money and the trouble? It runs just fine now but my father just received a O1 kodiak for xmas and I would like to have a little edge on him as we enjoy a little friendly competition. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2000, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

The machine is Rev limited. Other wise we would be floating the valves.
I went up several sizes on the Main and pulled the air filter off after a rain being the dust was down. The top speed gained 3 MPH.
I know the exhaust is stock but the engine will only turn so many RPM's.
Anyway, with the bigger main jet I do feel more power on long up hills with the throttle punched. (Air Filter On)
There is this long steepish hill that ride, and before the bigger main it would be straining towards the top. It is strong all the way up since. I feel for even more PeP in the mid range I may want to raise the needle a notch and perhaps get better hole shots too. When I get the time I will.

Old 12-28-2000, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

therock, thanks for the input. Are you using the stock filter? I ride at around 1000-2000 ft which would be similar to you and from what I have been reading from you and others it would probably be better for me to just go to a 140 main jet. Is it much of a job to install and adjust?

Old 12-29-2000, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I have the OE filter. Just haven’t got off my but to get the K&N. I have run K&N's on everything I own since the late 70's.
Changing the Jet can be a little pain if done right. Worse if you try to short cut it. It's tight in there. You need to remove the seat & tank and the rubber shield below it (tank). The air box too. The air box drain hose makes it a tight tricky fit. The screw that has the wire bracket for the idle adjustment screw on the float bowl isn’t too much fun either. I found this out trying to do the job without removing the tank.
After you get the tank & air box out it's all right there. You don't need to disconnect any cables. Just handle it with care not to kink or bind them. With the clamps loose pull the Carb out of the intake boot and roll it over and remove the float bowl. Carefull not to damage the float! Treat it like surgery. The choke cable will pull out of the socket a little so upon re-assembly make sure it is seated in fully. Tug it a bit and you will see what I mean. The main jet is up inside a little brass hexagon tube. Make sure the dealer knows what he is doing. My first trip to the dealer he just pulled out a box of jets and handed me one. The Kodiak takes the SMALL head type main jet.
Anyway, when you try to screw the main out of the Hex tube, the Hex tube may want to come out jet & all. It's OK. Just be sure to use good fitting screwdrivers on any of the screws for this job. The OE stuff is soft and you will surly bugger the screw heads up if you have worn or incorrect sized tools.
This is why I am stalling to raise the needle. If it don't run good (too rich) I gotta go back in.
About removing the tank. I did it once leaving the gas valve stem on. I failed to realize that there is a screw inside the hole on the ****. Snaking that long stem out with a full tank of gas is a major pain. Just make sure the valve is closed and the hose is off the carb.
I started out with small increases in jet size so I have been in several times. I found out that short cuts make for aggravation. The 140 still shows a clean plug.

Old 12-29-2000, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Again! I knew I could count on you for some good detailed instructions.I am going to install the 140 main jet this weekend and see if it is what I need.
Stormy

Old 12-29-2000, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey While your in there,why dont you raise the needle one notch and see about more mid range pep? I have not done the needle so I can't say. Come on, be brave and let us know.

Old 12-29-2000, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

therock,
I tried to cross my stock oil filter # to an aftermarket one with out any luck.Where did you find yours? Also my y2k Kodiak does not have a brake light,was this an option? Thanks