Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster for Son???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster for Son???

Sorry if this is a real ignorant question...But I am wondering if a Yamaha Blaster would be a good 4-wheeler for my son???

He is in junior high, turns 13 in Dec., is about 5'2", maybe 90lbs. His little brother has a Kawasaki 50 and he rides that like a toy. His buddy used to have a Polaris 90 and he rode that often and was pretty comfortable riding that.

Beyond knowing they say 90cc is the standard for 12yrs and up I really have no idea beyond that what ATV would be good for him. I hate to get him a 90 because it didn't seem challenging at all when he rode his friends, and hate to buy it if he's going to outgrow it in a couple years...Are there options beside a 80-90cc for him? Or am I way off base and really need to just stick with a 90cc?

The Blaster seemed like a nice step up from a 90, but manageable enough if he rides responsibly until he gets used to it...???

Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first check you local state laws,some of the larger quads require the rider to be 16,but if he rides good and on private land,you may be able to pull it off..

Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

He should easly be able to handle a blaster becasue I know a kid who is still in grade 4 and has a blaster. If he is a good rider then he should be able to go even bigger very soon becasue my friend who is 15 rides a predator and handles it very well.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

if your son is a good rider, which it sounds like he is, i would go a step further than the blaster. i would get him something along the lines of a "from now on" quad. something that he can ride from now until 16, 17, on up to adulthood. something along the lines of a banshee. its the same type of quad as the blaster, "sport", and its a little bigger but not too big that he can't handle it right now. I was riding a full size atv when i was 6 years old, but i know that isn't always the case. a banshee just seems to be a better long term investment in my opinion. not only because of the size of the quad, but the power. like i said before if he really is a good rider a blaster will be fun for him for a couple of years but he will undoubtedly get bored with its power within a couple of years. anyone who knows what a banshee is knows that is not the case with that quad.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with daron. even if it is to fast at the start u can just put a govenor on it. by no means whould i get him a 90 though.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

daron u should no that banshee's are for the wide open spaces not tight trails at all if ur son is going to be riding trails especially tight ones banshee is a big NO a blaster is great and if he does end up egtting bored of it theres endless mods out there for them and they can fly if you really wanted it to another suggestion is a 400ex good luck

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer

mdebuck- yes i know that the banshee is for wide open spaces. i also know that kawasaki50 never specified what type of riding his son is doing. even if it was trail riding a banshee can handle that.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Banshee sounds like a good idea...As far as type of riding, mainly just trail courses here in GA. Haven't been to any of the courses or anything yet, they're mainly just public courses, and whipping around in our backyard.

One thing I noticed though, the Banshee is a LOT more than what I can find a Blaster for. He also has 3 younger brothers...So I'm kinda leaning towards maybe the Blaster, then his younger brothers can ride it when and if he out grows it enough to want to move up to something like a Banshee....

Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

daron, even though banshee's can handle the trails doesn't mean it would be a great bike for his son yeah there nice and fast but not really ment for the trails ya know what i mean i'm sorry just voicing my opinion and i'm not trying to start anything with you

Old 06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

ya the blaster whould probly be good then because when he does get tired of it (which he will) then you can just hand it down

Quick Reply: Blaster for Son???