Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What gas? Wolverine 450

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gas? Wolverine 450

i was told by a macanic that works at a moto sports shop that u want to run premium because of all the ethinal in the fuel is gunkin every thing up... it is relly messin up 2 stroke boat motors and he also said u wouldnt beleve how many carbs weve been cleaning...... u could go to a bp station so ur atv will fart out bubbles...lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. but yea the higher quality fuel may be more expensive but it is soposivly cleaner and better for ur atv.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

higher octane gas is just more refined and will therefore ignite at a higher temperature. i dont think thats its much of a difference in temperature, but i dont see why its better to run hotter gas in your engine unless your piston needs it because its high compression. im sticking with regular gas in mine.im not really gunna worry about getting more peace of mind because yamaha and every other dealer in the us wouldnt suggest gas that isnt what your atv is made to run on. i know that they are willing to say things to make money but they arent making anything off what gas people run in their atv's. i guess it is a little bit cleaner, but the difference is so small it doesnt make all that much of a difference. if you run super in your engine, you might just harm it and get misfires because it takes alot more to ignite it. im not an expert, but thats just what gut sense is telling me. if anything, i'd trust a local mechanic in that choice.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running too good of a gas would not cause any damage to an engine, usually a higher octane gas will leave a (very) smaller amount of residue(carbon) inside the engine/valve train of a car or bike. It does not take much more power to ignite the fuel the spark of a good plug is plenty. The main thing is that it will keep from causing preignition as quickly as the lower octane gasoline. Like everyone has said the difference is so small that you usually can not tell much of a difference. The dealer when I bought mine said you can run as low as 89 I believe is what he said, but he usually runs premium in his wolvy as well. I have run 89 in mine a couple of times and have not had any problems but I prefer to pay a little more and run a better grade of fuel in my quad. My truck and car dont get premium unless i can buy it for the same price as regular (which happens about once every six months here).

Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

If your manual says to run 87 octane, then use it! The higher the octane the slower the ignition of the burn. High octane is meant for high compression engines. If you were to use 87 octane in a high compression engine, you will experience pre ignition. If you use high octane 91-93 in a low compression engine, you will get a delayed combustion of fuel and it will leave deposits behind and mess up valve seating. And those are the hard facts.