Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 660 raptor help!! will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 660 raptor help!! will not turn over

I have a 02 raptor 660 and it has always been fine untill yesterday. I rode it all day and started it several times all fine. I get home and go to take it off hte trailer and it will not start? I hit the button and the starter spins but it does not crank over the engine. I pulled the cover off end of the starter/gear drive and the starter does spin and the gears do turn but again the engine does not turn over. Can anybody help guide me? can't really afford to take it to the shop but am affraid to dig much further and open up a can of worms I can't handle. Any suggestions? help? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

You're looking at the problem, the starter one-way clutch. (it's bolted behind the flywheel) It's a common failure on Rappy's.

Replace the one-way clutch and the gear (if you don't the new one-way will likely fail sooner).

Get an L&A or L&L one-way to replace the crap stock unit. YOu'll never have to replace it again.

About 2 or less hours for a typical backyard mechanic. About $250 total in parts.

Raptortranny.com has a great write-up with pictures on the replacement.

Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! that is what I thought after I bought a manual and started reading. You can stick your finger in and turn the one way clutch gear both ways. Do I need a special puller or anything or just regular tools and half a brain to accomplish it?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

A standard 3 finger puller is all you need, but you'll have to get longer bolts and some washers to back them up. You'll also need a strap wrench or some other way to prevent the flywheel from turning. Removing the flywheel nut is a bear without an impact wrench and a decent compressor, but it is doable. If you have access to a compressor/impact wrench, i'd suggest it, for REMOVAL ONLY. Torque to spec when re-assembling and use red loctite on all fasteners including the flywheel nut.

When using the puller, the impact wrench helps also, otherwise you will scare yourself with how hard you have to crank on the puller's screw before the flywheel lets go. And LET GO it does, with a bang akin to a rifle shot! I'd leave the flywheel nut on but very loose, while pulling, so when the flywheel does crack loose, the whole assembly - flywheel, one-way, pulley puller - doesn't go flying from the release of forces.

Follow the Raptortranny instructions, adding common sense where applicable, and it's not a tough job.

One more thing: Get a telescoping magnet and fish it down in the oil sump while the flywheel's off. There's a lots of small metal debris, and broken spring wire that came from that grenaded one-way. They can't get into the small engine passages, but they can cause problems if they get sucked up into the gear train or get past the oil pump screen. You can get even more out if you add some oil, pull the drain plug, and tip the quad on it's side.

Try to get all you can, but don't lose sleep at night over what you can't.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much for your time on this! I ordered an L&A one way this AM and will go to work when it gets here. Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

You are welcome. I hope it goes as easily for you as it did for me... keep in mind that I WAS swearing at it a few times during the process, but patience and persistence won in the end.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,

Is it neccessary to replace when I replace the one way clutch...and if so, why?

Thanks!