Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A few Raptor questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007 | 07:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default A few Raptor questions

Is it just a raptor problem or me? This thing won't turn worthcrap. somewhat mediocre corners I am forced to either gunning it and risking the front come up just to make the tun sharper or go slow and the front just literally slides. I have used a mixture of Leans but nothing really helps. My weight is 195 could that be a cause? I have a Polaris Sport 400 and that thing is a night and day difference compared to the Raptor corning. Tires are not bald.

Also when you guys take off from a dig ( hard ) Do you start off in 1st or 2nd? 1st I can't really give it much of anything or the front will want to be a rocket ship, so ive been taking off in 2nd front up a little ( still can't give it 100% ). Well, I changed my fuel to regular and now it stalls when I take off in 2nd ( front comes up a bit ) then right down and stall. So, could it really be the gas I am using? When I could take off in 2nd it was with premium gas and octane booster. But I only use that when I am trail riding or something, not just riding around the house.

EDIT: this is a 660 btw

Old 08-29-2007 | 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Zickefoose

This thing won't turn worthcrap. somewhat mediocre corners I am forced to either gunning it and risking the front come up just to make the tun sharper or go slow and the front just literally slides. I have used a mixture of Leans but nothing really helps. I have a Polaris Sport 400 and that thing is a night and day difference compared to the Raptor corning. Tires are not bald.

EDIT: this is a 660 btw</end quote></div>
cool

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

take off from 1st.. run 93 in it WITHOUT octane booster

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

in dirt drags i start in 1st and really feather(smoke) the clutch. lots of practice but once you get the hang of it its $$. also rear tire selection comes into play.

running octane boost is not going to help a bit on a stock four stroke. save your money and enjoy your raptor..

Old 08-31-2007 | 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I also take off from first and sit on the tank. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I do not give it hard at first and feather it till quarter to half throttle then giver. I do not understand the turning issue. Do you have wheel spacers on the front? I am also up around the 200 weight and I do not have to wrestle it in the turns. I have a Honda 300EX and it has a tighter turning radius but not real significant.

Old 09-04-2007 | 11:40 AM
Range Rover

Its not the quad. Its you.

Old 09-04-2007 | 04:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: killakevbeastmode

Its not the quad. Its you.</end quote></div>

Well, thank you but everyone knows Raptors are top heavy and tons of tourqe for the weight. But I am getting better, unlike some I have not had mommy and daddy buy me a 4wheeler when I was younger to gain more exp. I finally can afford one on the messly $15 an hour Frito-Lay gives me. But I am getting better lol....

Oh and to add.... The damn Carbs fell off my bike last weekend. Could have been the West Virgina terrain and trails that did it. But, I tightend them back up and no problems so far.

Old 09-04-2007 | 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Carbs fall off when they are not installed right. Make sure they are seated properly and that the air box tubes are not pulling are the carbs when the clamps are tightened.

Raptor swing arm is too short. Yamaha was trying to make it handle like a 400EX with a light front end. They screwed that up. Lean forward. Start in 2nd.

Also, spacers on the REAR make a huge difference for cornering. Spacers on the front make it drive like crap. Have fun.

Old 09-04-2007 | 09:09 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MasterRaptor

Carbs fall off when they are not installed right. Make sure they are seated properly and that the air box tubes are not pulling are the carbs when the clamps are tightened.

Raptor swing arm is too short. Yamaha was trying to make it handle like a 400EX with a light front end. They screwed that up. Lean forward. Start in 2nd.

Also, spacers on the REAR make a huge difference for cornering. Spacers on the front make it drive like crap. Have fun.</end quote></div>

Thank you very much, I'll have to try some of that.

Old 09-04-2007 | 09:47 PM
Range Rover

also,check your tire pressure,that makes a big difference.I ride mainly sandy to hard pack dirt,I keep my rear tires at 3 to 3.5 lbs and my front at 3 lbs. That should help out the handling some what.

Quick Reply: A few Raptor questions