Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha wolverine 450

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yamaha wolverine 450

definetly worth a shot I got a set of pads(EBC sintered metal pads) for half off (not even complaining about the squeak really, I was only asking what other people were doing to get rid of it and they said the ebc's and said well give you them at our cost.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Wolverine. Stock it handles great, rides fine, and has plenty of power. If you add a few options it sweetens the bike even more and it will still cost WAY less than a Can Am and ride and handle better than a Scrambler. Its a great bike and I think a great value. Its a Yamaha.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

Before I start, I do like my Wolverine for it's intended use. In a nutshell what I don't like, the headlights are barely adequate. The seat is too firm, it's narrow width and center of gravity leaves you with a tippy sensation in technical situations. The Maxxis tires in the rear are way too stiff and causes a ridiculously harsh ride over rough rocky, bumpy terrain. Running a about four lbs of air in them helps, a little. The power feels more like a 250, but can be advantageous in tight technical terrain as well because it's so user friendly. It's a little nose heavy for my taste and the floor boards are easily damaged from kicked up branches that get wedged up through the bottom. The mushy rear brakes are caused by the mechanical brake lever that actuates the hydraulic disc in the rear. It's kind of like a semi hydraulic brake system. On the plus side it can be ridden with almost anything out there. The transmission shifts into and out of gear pretty easily and the machine feels very compact and right at home squeezing between tight trees. The solid rear axle isn't as comfortable as an IRS equipped quad, but on the plus side, the fairly adequate 8" of ground clearance will never be less than that no matter how much load is on the rear suspension. Whereas an IRS equipped quad will lose most of it's ground clearance when the suspension loads. Most people don't realize a straight rear axle does have that advantage. Even though it's only 8" of clearance, it will never be any less either. My biggest complaint, is the rough bouncy ride the Maxxis tires provide. The best thing I like about it is how compact and durable the machine feels, how well the CVT transmission and 4wd system worked, and how durable it seems to be. This machine is the definition of what a recreation machine should be. It's easy to ride, can go anywhere a sport quad can go, and almost anywhere a utility quad with 4wd lock can go for a relatively affordable price.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kas379

...... and the floor boards are easily damaged from kicked up branches that get wedged up through the bottom. The mushy rear brakes are caused by the mechanical brake lever that actuates the hydraulic disc in the rear. It's kind of like a semi hydraulic brake system. </end quote></div>

Very good review kas379. I like your objectiveness.

I agree about the rear brake and also I have had the displeasure of having a submerged tree limb jam right into the brake pedal opening. This required that it be cut out right in the slop I was parked in. Bent the brake pedal a little too but I fixed it.

Most people don't realize a straight rear axle does have that advantage. Even though it's only 8" of clearance, it will never be any less either. </end quote></div>

I realize the advantages of a straight axle since my Beartracker has one. I was actually considering a Honda TRX420 before my Kodiak until I realized the rear set-up on that machine was partially open, the spring had no adjustment and it seemed to be of lower quality then the larger machines.That plus the whole machine just didn't seem as well built or as good a value as the Yami.

The Maxxis tires don't seem as big a deal on my machine but I would in no way consider my Kodiak a "sporty" quad, especially in 4x4 or dare I say with the diff. lock engaged. But it's as good a handling machine as any of the other utility ATV's out there.

The Wolverine is some sort of compromise between utility and sport and could use some improvements. But then so could my Kodiak.

In a perfect world we would all have the resources to own both the best utility ATV as well as the best sport ATV. Maybe even two or three of each! Then throw in a couple of nice sleds and maybe a dirt bike, street bike and oh yah a Vette.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with about 3.5-4psi in the rear tires(usually what I run for best traction too) I dont feel like they beat me up too bad( but then again I have only had quads with worn out shocks in the past so who knows)

Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ctateusa1
with about 3.5-4psi in the rear tires(usually what I run for best traction too) I dont feel like they beat me up too bad( but then again I have only had quads with worn out shocks in the past so who knows)</end quote></div>

Lower pressure in rear does help, but I also found keeping the pressure high (6 to 8 lbs) in the front helps reduce tire roll and the bike turns much better.

It's a little nose heavy for my taste and the floor boards are easily damaged from kicked up branches that get wedged up through the bottom. </end quote></div>

Speaking of the floor boards, they also have a small design flaw. Stand next to the machine and step on the front part of the right running board. You'll hear a POP as the front of the running board bends and detaches from the fender. Really bad engineering when you can't step on your floor board (too cheap?).

Old 09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: skramblr

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ctateusa1

with about 3.5-4psi in the rear tires(usually what I run for best traction too) I dont feel like they beat me up too bad( but then again I have only had quads with worn out shocks in the past so who knows)</end quote></div>

Lower pressure in rear does help, but I also found keeping the pressure high (6 to 8 lbs) in the front helps reduce tire roll and the bike turns much better.

It's a little nose heavy for my taste and the floor boards are easily damaged from kicked up branches that get wedged up through the bottom. </end quote></div>

Speaking of the floor boards, they also have a small design flaw. Stand next to the machine and step on the front part of the right running board. You'll hear a POP as the front of the running board bends and detaches from the fender. Really bad engineering when you can't step on your floor board (too cheap?).</end quote></div>

That's very true about the pressure in the front tire. I forgot to mention that, I keep at least 5.5 lbs in the front tires because it does seem to help prevent the front tires from sidewall roll. Interesting, the back tires are too stiff and the front tires suffer from weak sidewalls. I'm thinking about getting Carlisle AT489 tires, very few tires in that size are available.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Bump up the front tire pressure and back of the front shock preload one click and it will handle better. Have to mess with the PSI to find the best setting