Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with my Buzzing Raptor.. won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Buzzing Raptor.. won't start!!

Ohh thanks for the correction. I will try that tomorrow. I will try to purchase some wiring to make a test run. Maniac thanks for your input. Will keep you posted.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

Honestly, the most common problem that will create this symptom is corroded or loose battery connections at the battery terminals. I figure since u swapped batteries that that should not be the case, but thought i better tell you anyway.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Okay I pulled it into the garage.. and upon closer inspection, the fuse on the relay for the ground wire side seems to have lost it's metal contact connectors within the relay. Basically the positive side fuse inserts with a little effort and stays in there. The Negative side fuse would fall out if you hold the relay upside down. When it's buzzing without the fuse protective caps you can literally see the fuse bounce up and down. I'm guessing this is the problem. Is there a way to bypass the fuse for that side to see if it is indeed the relay? I just want to make sure that is the part I need to order it ASAP.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

There is only one active fuse and it's in the positive circuit. The other fuse is just a spare.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Doh I feel stupid....I am going to buy some wire tomorrow and swap em out. See what gives. I thought that might have been the problem. Everything seems fine. I am assuming the negative ground ONLY goes to the motor. No place on the frame.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Keep the faith... I was out riding mine today, and after all the help and learning I've received from this forum, it ran PERFECTLY for the first time since I bought it, about 6 months ago. What a rush! Of course, it's been too hot in the desert to ride since May, so I only got to take it out for test runs twice after I got it. So, I've spent the summer fixing everything I could think of, and have been well rewarded for it.

I'd suggest you just use a jumper cable to test your suspected battery cables... then replace them if the cable test verifies your suspicions.

Good Luck, and I hope you're out having as much fun as I did today, real soon!

Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Quad were do ya live? No deserts here... I rode out in Nevada (Amargosa) and Dumont (absolutely wild.. wish I had my DS when I was there). We have a sand pit area here I haven't been in 2 years.. looking to go back. I miss it so.

Okay here is the skinny. I have a project DS650 that is sitting on milk crates. I decided to pull the wires off (negative and positive) and replace them on the Raptor. SAME THING. At this point I think it may be the relay. A budy with a Raptor e-mailed me saying he had a spare.. going to see when I can pick it up today. I will try a jumper cable in a few. Will post results. Believe man.. I only rode once this year and my DS blew up. Valve spring broke causing all kinds of problems. I'm itching to ride.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Update... I jumped the wires from the relay. It tries to turn the motor over. VERY SLOWLY I can hear it chug. Not enough to crank it over. Almost like it is struggling. I do have a high comp piston in there. Maybe starter going bad?
Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

SHort across the two big lugs on the relay with a screwdriver. (you'll get a big spark). IF the starter turns normally, it's the relay. If it still struggles, it's likely time to start looking at the starter.

Adding the wires in parallel, like you did, just allows more current to flow before the voltage drops enough to make the relay chatter. Definitely is starting to sound like the starter.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Entomber

Quad were do ya live? No deserts here... I rode out in Nevada (Amargosa) and Dumont (absolutely wild.. wish I had my DS when I was there). We have a sand pit area here I haven't been in 2 years.. looking to go back. I miss it so.

</end quote></div>

I live in San Diego, closest place to ride (with enough room for fun) is the desert east of here. Plaster City is about an hour and 10 minutes from me, Ocotillo Wells and Superstition Mountain about 1 1/2 hour, Glamis and Gordon's Well (45 miles by 10 miles of dunes that make Dumont look like a postage stamp with pimples) are around 2 1/2 hours away. We went out around 15 times last season with our three quads (now 4 with the Raptor) and a bike and with other friends and thier toys. But between May and September the temp averages around 110 to 115, too hot for this old man! Then it's either Pismo Beach time (5 1/2 hours though), or take the boat to the Colorado river fun, where it's also desert and 110, but its on/in the water, so what the hell.

Quick Reply: Help with my Buzzing Raptor.. won't start!!