Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What the hell is wrong with my 87 warrior???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell is wrong with my 87 warrior???

Sup, i have an 87 warrior 350 with a white bros. e-series exausht. i bought it off a friend of mine for 200 bucks. there was absolutly nothing wrong with it when i got it. i rode it around my backyard a few times and seemed to run just fine. i went to start it the next day and the plug dry fouled due to running rich. so i replaced the plug and gapped to specs. cleaned the carb and air filter. since the old plug fouled it will start for about 1 sec. then cut out. still with new plug. so i took the carb apart again cleaned again lowerd the clip (raised the needle) on the main neddle. now it starts fine but the carbs still makes a spit noise? i also noticed that the valves have carbon deposits on them and it taps so i'm assuming they need to be adjusted. could the valves be the problem? or does it just need to run for awile? it's also hard to keep it running. i checked the timing and it was fine. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

If you raise the needle, that will make it run more rich. Check the carb boot and make sure it is not torn.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

the old one was so i replaced it with a new one. before i raised the needle it sounded like it was starving for gas so i raised it. it was in the middle when it was running like that. now it idles fine and the throttle responds alot better. i just can't figure out what the spit noise is being caused by??? i can't figure it out.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

When does it spit? While it's running or when it shuts off? If it spits while the engine keeps running, does it lose power for a split second when it spits? Mine makes a little spit noise when you're driving along kind-of slow, and it's probably the same sound you have. I think it's because it's starved for air and the air screw needs some adjustment. Maybe someone had adjusted your carb to compensate for the split boot you had? and now you just need to adjust it back.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

it spits when it runs and it sounds like it bogs down when it does it. sometimes that's when it will cut out. when i took the carb out before i set the air pilot screw to stock 1 1/4 turns out. i'm guessing i should change this as to it doesn't have a stock exausht on it...? should i do it and listen or is there a number of turns? because the book doesn't tell me. it just says the stock number of turns. nothing leaks that i know of. i put a new airbox and hoses on it. the air filter isn't stock it's a K&N air filter. not sure if that plays a part in this. which i'm sure it does.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

stock is 2 full turns out

Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

ok the book for my year just says 1 1/4. i'll turn it again and see what happens.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

atleast i THINK it is 2 full turns...i run mine at about 2 1/4 (with mods)

Old 09-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

ok, also my cousin has a 2004 honda 300ex and her rear brakes rub. i checked the parking brake which doesn't work at all since she bought it. she never uses her back brakes anyway. the resivor has fluid and the pedal doesn't stick. do you know what is causing this?

Old 09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

what's the problem? becuase i don't see any problem with the post above mine....

Quick Reply: What the hell is wrong with my 87 warrior???