Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cold Weather Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 Kodiak is now 9months old....3 months out of warranty. When I leave it outside (under my carport) and try to start it during cold weather (below ~30degrees?), the solenoid makes a loud buzzing noise, and the starter won't turn over. So I thought maybe the battery was had a low charge. I hooked up my battery charger, and within 1 minute, it told me I had a full charge (so the battery is fine). After pulling my arms out of thier sockets yanking on the pull rope, I got it to fire up (quite a feat on a cold-start 20degree morning). After riding it for over an hour (heat soaking) the starter then works fine.
But, a couple of days later, the same thing happened again all over again.
Has anyone else had this happen to them, or is just my normal luck.... troubles just out of warranty.

Old 01-04-2001, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

We've had the coldest winter in years here in Ohio, I've been plowing a lot. Although my choke is frozen solid, my Kodiak still fires right up every morning.

Old 01-05-2001, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Be absolutely positive that all of your battery connections and wiring are good. If there is no problem there, have your battery load tested by someone that knows how to do it properly. It most likely is a faulty battery if the starter solenoid is buzzing. The charger may indicate a full charge, but the battery could have a bad cell. Any decent battery store should be able to do this test. If it has cell caps, they can test each cell with a hydrometer also (make sure there is enough water in the battery). If the battery tests good, make sure that nothing is left on that is draining it. You could try dissconnecting the ground cable to make sure, if you don't know how to test it.
Don't be fooled because your charger is showing a full charge. It can't charge the battery if there is a bad cell, but it will "think" that it is fully charged. Poor batteries or connections are the most common problems with starting/charging systems. It will start when the engine and battery are warm because it takes much less power to turn over a warm engine, and battery voltage climbs with heat also.
Let me know what you find.

Old 01-05-2001, 06:47 AM
Pro Rider

OK
If the buzzing noise is coming from under the seat by the CDI, it is the same thing mine does. But mine starts. There are 2 relays under there. A White one (Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay) and a Red (Reverse Switch Relay) one. The White one is the culprit. It will buzz for a short time and quit. It has always started though. I am going to replace it. It may be that simple for you.
Here are the numbers I got off the relay.
29U-93
ACA12115-1
Hope that helps.
Frozen choke? After riding and knowing there are going to be freezing conditions, Turn it off and pull the choke on about 1\2 way. Let it start and warm up so you can shut the choke off. We need to find out EXACTLY what is freezing. The cable or Carb linkage.
Pull Starting on mine is better if I slowly pull the rope to the compression stroke and then yank.

Later