Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie here

Hey everyone,

I just got a 1988 warrior that runs like a bat out of hell with a mission to destroy all man made trails, I have several questions that can probably be put into one or two, the bugger smokes when i really get going (40-50 mph) the guy who sold me the bike informed of the smoke before i purchased the bike but disclosed that he would change the seal for me when he found out how long it took, so i said dont you have to remove the engine to reach the seal that is leaking the oil causing the oil to burn and smoke, he replied yes, so wouldnt it be wise to replace all seals and gaskets in the engine to restore lost compression. My question is where is the best place to get a complete seal and gasket kit? Also what modifications would any of you recommend to beef the warrior up more so than it already is? I know you shouldnt fix things that arent broken but i like my things to be in top running condition.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default newbie here

I just got a 1988 warrior that runs like a bat out of hell with a mission to destroy all man made trails

LOL..thats a warrior for ya

Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default newbie here

If you think a Warrior is fast you ought to try the YFZ450 or the Raptor 660 or 700. They will get down! But anyway, the smoking is probably from the piston rings being worn, so the best thing to do is rebuild the top end with a new overbore piston, new rings, new gaskets, and bore the cylinder. You could get a lghtweight, higher compression piston kit from JE for $200 from Vito's. That will give you a little more power and your engine will rev a little quicker. Get a gasket kit for $35, the bore will run about $40 at a machine shop, and you're all set for under $300 if you do the work yourself.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default newbie here

get a hotstage1 cam too, stage 2 will blow you bike up by running too hot so go with the 1 and get the next size up jet for your carb and drill holes in the top of your breather box and use a k&n air filter only other thing is maybe a edlebroc carb or use some jet fuel[blue fuel smells awesome]

Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default newbie here

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Xtreme26181

get a hotstage1 cam too, stage 2 will blow you bike up by running too hot so go with the 1 and get the next size up jet for your carb and drill holes in the top of your breather box and use a k&n air filter only other thing is maybe a edlebroc carb or use some jet fuel[blue fuel smells awesome]</end quote></div>

How does a stage 2 cam make your engine run hot? There are bigger cams out there than a stage 2 Hotcam, and nobody has problems with them. Heat comes from either not enough fuel or not enough airflow across an aircooled engine.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default newbie here

ricky carmikel is my neighbor and thats what he told me, he put stage 2 on his 400ex and blew it up because of it so he suggested to me a stage1

Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default newbie here

ricky carmikel is my neighbor and thats what he told me, he put stage 2 on his 400ex and blew it up because of it so he suggested to me a stage1</end quote></div>

Maybe he didn't install heavy duty valve springs and he dropped a valve or something? I don't like Hotcams anyway. You can get a lot more out of your engine by running a Webcam or similar (Powroll) that has a lot more lift and duration than a Hotcam. If you're going to spend the time and money, you might as well get the most bang that you can. I agree with your ideas about the filter and airbox, a good slip-on exhaust, a 14 tooth front sprocket, and if you have some 22" wooly mammoth rear tires - get rid of them and get some lightweight 20" tires and these simple mods will help ALOT.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default newbie here

I love this guy Raptor450, he knows his **** and has been great help to me as well.
agree with him 100% and you shld use razors, razor2's on your back tires and hotshots are great front tires [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] enjoy, ya pls add a slip on to your bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default newbie here

I love this guy Raptor450, he knows his **** and has been great help to me as well.

agree with him 100% and you shld use razors, razor2's on your back tires and hotshots are great front tires [img][/img] enjoy, ya pls add a slip on to your bike [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Thanks! I try to help as much as I can - that's one thing this forum is all about, right? I've been around ATV's since I was 12 and started working on them myself not long after. The new Holeshot GNCCs are great rear tires, too. They are heavy duty and lightweight. I run the Ohtsu 501's which are very light, but only 2 ply, so you have to be careful not to puncture the sidewalls. People don't realize how much that rotating mass of rear tire will slow you down. It's good for going thru mud and ruts, but if you want speed you have to sacrifice the ground clearance.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default newbie here

Hey thanks for the tips, i actually got a great deal on the bike and only paid 800 busks for it! Id like to do what you suggested but not sure the of the best place to get these parts where would you go? I also noticed that your in henderson NC, i live i rocky mount which isnt that far away if you wouldnt be opposed id like to come and ride up your way sometime but im not sure how you feel about meeting and riding with new people, it just seems that you know alot about the sport and have great suggestions on how to regain lost compression and beef up a quad.
Ill be looking forward to reading more of your threads.

thanks alot man.

Quick Reply: newbie here