Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 yamaha raptor bogging

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default 02 yamaha raptor bogging

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mxz670HO

The problem is the parking brake switch not making good contact with the parking brake mechanism due to a sloppy cable even when adjusted all the way out.I was thinking of replacing the spring on the rear caliper with a stronger one but i dont know.The parking brake seems to do nothing to hold the wheels even when manually moved on the caliper.If i dont mess with it should be okay but i would rather fix it and have the brake working than remove it.Thanks for the help.</end quote></div>

I know you may want to keep it stock, but if you don't remove it now it will be a problem later. Consider that a warning. Those parking brakes on 4 wheelers are a joke. The only reason you would EVER need one is to keep your engine running in neutral while you were parked on a hill. Who does that? Just shut the engine off and put it in gear.

Old 10-15-2007 | 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, I've read about enough of this before I finally had to jump in.

The problems being described may be a function of the parking brake limiter, not of the PB itself.

The parking brake actuation assembly (up at the bars) has a switch which when depressed tells the CDI that the parking brake is on. When the CDI senses this, it turns on an RPM limiter to prevent you, the 'stupid' user (according to Yamaha) from trying to run like hell with the PB on.

Often the switch will fail in the closed postion, making the CDI think that the PB is on when it really isn't. This turns on the RPM limiter which makes the engine run like smurf above idle.

You can disable the PB switch and therefore the PB RPM limiter by disconnecting the wires that run to the PB switch's cable connector. They are Green with yellow stripe and black. The G/Y is the important one. Disconnect them and wrap with shrink tube, electrical tape, RTV, or something to keep water and dirt out of them.

You will no longer have a PB limiter either when PB is on, or PB is off. If this is a problem for you, then just do this as a troubleshooting technique. Else, leave it permanently.

Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2007 | 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Raptor450

I know you may want to keep it stock, but if you don't remove it now it will be a problem later. Consider that a warning. Those parking brakes on 4 wheelers are a joke. The only reason you would EVER need one is to keep your engine running in neutral while you were parked on a hill. Who does that? Just shut the engine off and put it in gear.</end quote></div>

I use the parking brake when I am transporting. Leaving it in gear during transport can be damaging to the gear train. With only a couple of teeth constantly engaged in the tranny, if the bike moves back and forth during the trip, only those teeth get pounded on (with no oil flow, I might add) which can cause undue wear and uneven wear on the teeth.

I keep my parking brakes adjusted, and they are not a joke, they work just fine. As the pads wear thru normal usage, the PB needs to be readjusted. It's just something I've gotten in the habit of doing every time I change the oil... 5 minutes extra.

Old 10-15-2007 | 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

P BRAKES ARE GREAT