Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Splitfire Plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitfire Plugs...

thats up in the air, i have heard of pro racers that use stock coils for there cars because there cheap and readily avail same with bikes, figure you have fuel under compression in a cyl.... if you take a drop of gas and spark it it goes up, and thats at normal atmosphere 14.7 psi or 1bar, now you compress that atmosphere inside a combustion chamber the fuel becomes even less stable a tiny little spark will cause combustion. i personally don't believe that a hotter coil with do anything to ad performance, unless i was running a motor with absolutely super low compression and huge cc, where i would have to burn a lot of fuel in a readily more stable state. typical oem coils and drivers can push a spark plug gap upwards of .70 or .80 even more... i know my blasters ignition is 13 years old oem and my bike runs like beast

Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

yeh a tiny spart will ignite it but will it be precise..microseconds in the combustion cycle make a big differance in performance

Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Several years ago I remember a major magazine doing a test between about a dozen of the most popular spark plugs including split fires.

They compared performance differences in cars between the different plugs and basically found no noticeable difference between any of them.

What they DID find was that new plugs outperformed old worn out plugs but there wasn't much of a difference between the different types/brands of new plugs.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

carbon covered electrodes add resistance. more resistance less spark power at a given supplied voltage..

Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

The coil will supply the plug with more voltage to jump the gap. So the coil will work harder to light the mixture off. This may induce a miss fire if the coil is already having trouble jumping the gap in the spark plug.
From my own testing and articles I've read is that NGK and Denso make the very best plugs and have done the most testing.
The new racing plugs by NGK/Denso (platinum plugs) have smaller wire then the other manufactures and will last longer and use less energy to jump the gap on the spark plug which means that you have a less of a change of miss fire because there will be more available voltage left in the coil to jump the gap when there is high cylinder pressure.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

Anybody thinking that it takes less voltage to jump the gap under compression is wrong.. It takes more and the leaner or richer the mixture gets from that perfect A/F ratio the even harder it becomes.. also adding high compression makes it even worst. Think of it like trying to jump a 5 ft cliff, now add the 30 mile in hour head wind (compression) and rain (fuel) and it's going to get a lot tougher.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

BASICALLY IT BOILS DOWN TO THIS!

DON'T HOLD THE COIL WIRE WHILE HITTING THE START BUTTON.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: STRAIGHTUPDAHILL

BASICALLY IT BOILS DOWN TO THIS!

DON'T HOLD THE COIL WIRE WHILE HITTING THE START BUTTON.</end quote></div>

Wise words from someone(else) that sounds like they've done it, just once. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

ONLY ACCIDENTALLY....;-)

Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

if you really want to know what voltage is going to your plug, pick up one of these..they go fairly cheap on ebay

SNAP-ON MT2700

Quick Reply: Splitfire Plugs...