Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Gear shifter (selector) 88 warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shifter (selector) 88 warrior

So should i just order a new shifter. and be done with it, i havent tackled anything on the bike yet, nothing needs it except for the shifter. i thought it was the clutch but after all the threads ive read the finger points to the shifter. is this something i can do by myself in a day or am i going to run into issues putting the clutch basket and stuff back together? i dont mean to ask the same queston twice if ia am.

thanks for reading.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

There may be some confusion about what the "shifter" is. Cant speak for anyone else but when I said shifter I was talking about the external lever and linkage that atached to the splined shaft coming out of the motor. I think you are thinking of the shift fork which is inside the motor. If it goes into all gears I do not beleive you need a shift fork just the external lever I mentioned above. It is easy to replace.

The slipping (seeming like it comes out of gear) is likely the clutch and not related to the shifter problem. 2 different problems. The linkage has likely been getting loose for a long time and you just didnt notice it until it seemed like it was coming out of gear which is caused by the clutch slipping which is caused by the clutch plates wearing out. Not related in any way to the shifter being loose. Replacing the clutch plates will require minor mechanical ability.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mechanicock After looking at the photo i'm not sure if this would work for your shift problem but this was what i had to do to my first ATV was a 1986 Honda TRX350 Foreman fulltime 4x4 when i ran into this problem with a loose foot shifter that was slipping and it was starting to strip the spline's on the shift shaft i had to remove the clamp bolt then pulled foot shifter from the shaft , next i had to use my hand held 4 and a half inch grinder to grind some of the metal from the part that the bolt clamp's the foot shifter back onto the shaft , you don't need to grind very much ; just enough to get it hold in place so it doesn't slip and strip the spline's from the shaft ! if you don't have a grinder or know someone who has one ; you could take it to a machine shop or auto bodyshop and have them grind enough metal from between the clamp part of the foot shift ! ........

Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TomM

There may be some confusion about what the "shifter" is. Cant speak for anyone else but when I said shifter I was talking about the external lever and linkage that atached to the splined shaft coming out of the motor. I think you are thinking of the shift fork which is inside the motor. If it goes into all gears I do not beleive you need a shift fork just the external lever I mentioned above. It is easy to replace.

The slipping (seeming like it comes out of gear) is likely the clutch and not related to the shifter problem. 2 different problems. The linkage has likely been getting loose for a long time and you just didnt notice it until it seemed like it was coming out of gear which is caused by the clutch slipping which is caused by the clutch plates wearing out. Not related in any way to the shifter being loose. Replacing the clutch plates will require minor mechanical ability.</end quote></div>

Great POST!!! You explained it to a "T".

and this is the area that Williebee is talking about, my shift linkage fell off completely during a 35 mile poker run. Luckily, I had a short piece of wire to hold it in place for the rest of the ride. This was my fix for it though:

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  55.8 KB

Old 11-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

What is that shifter off of? Im going to see my buddy up at the shop tomorrow to see if he has something that will work.

thanks for all the help!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

It's the stock shifter, I simply cut some of the length off of it, and welded it onto the stock clamping piece, see the little nub sticking off of it where the linkage would go.

This photo might make it a tad clearer for you:

Name:  S6300392Large.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  103.4 KB

And you can also see how I had to modify my footpegs because they bent in this photo:

Name:  S6300394Large.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  72.6 KB

Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mechanicock i see it in the other photo better and i could tell after your description and i see the nub when i lookd at the first pic. In the first i thought it looked like the Suzuki shifter with the cable shift hook's to the foot shift , but after the next pic. i couls see the difference ; at first when i was taking about my old honda i thought the shift shaft was a direct link through the case to shift linkage like the honda ! So i think i get the hold pic. of how it work's , so if i do it would be different i don't know why they would compicant a otherwise straight shift shaft connection like the old honda ! Honda even does it kinda like that now to make more part's to link thing's together with more part's ; and more part;s make it more complicated and so they can make more money ! Honda's reason was they said it was because incorperate the shift link's so they could start fazing in the es shifting ; but when really just make more money on replacement part's ! Just to make things more difficult for the average joe would seek out the dealership for repair's ! Honda should know better the direct through the case shift shaft only had one linkage inside the case for adjusting and that was to easy for anyone to fix , so it had to change ; to make more money that's what it's all about the them anyway the all mighty dollar ! My old 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman i had for over 15 yrs. and not so much as a clutch adjustment in the 15 yrs i had it ! Good luck to you bro , hope you get it going the most complicated one for me was the Suzuki LTF4wd 4 shift cable's can you believeit ? Well i've got to go out and look at a transmission for loose bolt's , good luck.