Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need to rejet after new exhuast???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to rejet after new exhuast???

The EHS Website looks down right down ... I'll take a look at it later in the day.

I actually got the PC Racing Filterskins Part # PC1386, which is the 6"-8" Diameter and 4"-7" Length for a Full-Size CR-CRF-YZ-YZF-WR-RM-DRZ-KX-KDX-KLX-KTMs, Suzuki LT500 Quad. The reason is the filterskin is not going over the filter itself like the manufacturer intended. It's going around the rim of the airbox lid.

Other manufacturers make "high-flow" airbox lids as well that do pretty much the same thing, but I like the fact with the filterskins that when you dirty one up, you can just peel it off, and throw a new one on right there. I've never had to change a filterskin mid-day so far.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok cool, so now that I got the filter part outa the way, I can concentrate on the exhaust again.

I took a print screen from the Dr. D website of the Jetting chart. Can you recommend a good place to buy them??

Name:  YFZ-450_Jet-Chart.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  19.2 KB

Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure on a recommended distributor for the Dr. D exhaust. I'll let someone else pipe in on that.

The jetting they recommend seems like it's in the ballpark. For my location (1000 ft. ASL), with the K&N and open air box lid, I went with a 170 Main Jet, 45 Pilot, NCVQ on 3rd clip, and Idle Screw at about 2 turns out. I haven't had to make any additional changes. It was about spot on.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry, I was referring to where to buy the jets. I have 2 places that I'm lookin at buying the Exhaust from.

My elevation here is about 850 Ft. and where I ride, varies from about 200 Ft. to 500 ft. at one location and 750 Ft. to about 1200 Ft. at another.

i guess i can email them and get more exact info. The Dr. D company is about 30 miles south of where i live, so they should be able to give me better specs.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Some pipe manufacturers include a jet kit when you purchase their pipes. Otherwise, you can get individual jets and/or needles for the Keihin carb from your Yamaha dealer.

The YFZ is pretty fast stock ... wait until you put that pipe on there. It'll want to rip your arms out of your sockets.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for all your input. Can't wait to get this project started...

If you lived closer, I'd buy ya a few [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]'s

Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

It's not a problem. Are you going to do the rejetting yourself?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah most likely. I just need to find some how-to's for that. I've read and heard that it wasn't difficult to do.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yea, it's pretty easy, I've rejetted a couple of em all you do is pull the plug out of the bottom of the float bowl and remove the jet and install a new one.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a page that has videos on the bottom that I viewed before breaking into my carb...

YFZ450 Jetting Videos

This will give you a great introduction on what to expect when you rejet. One thing the videos fail to mention is that on the '07 YFZ450, the Airscrew is sealed with a metal plug for emissions reasons. I screwed a self-tapping screw into this plug a few threads, and then pulled it out. Then you can use a jewelers' flat-blade screwdriver to adjust your airscrew. (or replace with something like a Tusk or Zip-Tye Airscrew you can adjust with your fingers at will).

Putting the throttle cable back on the carb was the only thing that had me swearing like a sailor in my garage to my knowledge. My fingers are too big. It'd be easy if you were Eddie Van Halen...

Quick Reply: need to rejet after new exhuast???