Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'08 Grizzly 450 - new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Grizzly 450 - new owner questions

Howdy all... I'm new to these forums and the ATV world in general.

I just put a reserve on an '08 Grizzly 450. The dealer's next alloted, non-camo Grizzly is mine. This ATV will be primarily ridden by my wife (the rest of the family gets their kicks on Yamaha two-wheelers), so I believe it will lead a very easy life for the most part. The exceptions to that will probably be when one of my friends is using it or when there's snow on the ground and I use it for plowing and playing.

My questions:

Do these things have any inherent weaknesses? I've learned from experience that certain things on the bikes get replaced immediatetly... for example, handlebars on the playbikes because the stockers bend too easy (and always when you're miles from the trailer!). Is there anything on the Grizzly that should
be replaced prior to moderate trail riding? Plowing? FWIW, I am taking advantage of the $69 winch deal Yamaha is offering.

Are the combo rack-bags/seats useful for carrying a passenger in isolated instances? I understand it's not supposed to be used that way, but in a crunch will it work? If so, does the 450 have enough grunt to get the job done on reasonably tame trails?

Any recommendations on ATV training programs? I attended both street and dirt-bike courses and my kids have both taken the dirt-bike course offered by the MSF. Is there an equivalent quad course that my wife and I can do?

Thanks for your time!!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the atv training program I would recommend. Yamaha should offer it to you when you do the paperwork(plus they pay you 100.00).

As far as a passenger I dont know about the bag/seat, but the motor does have enough grunt to get the job done.

The only thing I know of that might need replaced on the grizz is if they have not changed the rear brake pad composition I would replace them with some ebc pads(the stock pads work good if you can deal with the squeal)

Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah man, I had to change the brake pads on both the Kodiaks I've had... and almost instantly... the brake squeel was brutal.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

The '08 has a new "rear sealed wet brake". To be honest, I don't know what that means, but hopefully, the squeal won't be there.

thanks!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah!!! You're gettin' an '08... Lucky bugger... the wet brake is the best... if I'm not misteaken it barely needs service. Good for you!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yhea the wet brake will keep all the junk out of it.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have put my '07 through quite a bit and I haven't seen any inherent weakness other than the plastic skid plates, but that's my fault.

The rear brake is a little junky but I'm sure the '08 wet unit will be better. Mine's better now after a little adjustment.

The 450's power is good and the diff lock is great in the really bad stuff.

I'm going to put a clutch kit into it in the spring and I will report with my opinion of it.

As for accessories: I have an MS rear seat/cargo box, a Yamaha front bush guard/bumper assembly, aftermarket aux. lights (the factory lights seem week) and a gas can carrier on the rear.

From there on you can go to custom wheels and larger tires, a jet kit and intake and a pipe. Or you can put a bore kit in, a cam and increase the compression as well.

It used to be that this stuff was available for the large Grizzly's only, but the 450 has been very popular and more aftermarket items are becoming available.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

got a 05 kodiak 450...

get a nice set of 26" tires... Probaby radial, but with a bit more bite... that's about all you need. They're great quads. (we drilled some holes in the rotor and that took care of the squeal... )

Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

I love my Grizz 450!! It takes everything I throw at it! Thankfully I do have 90% skids (no front bash plate yet- though this winter I am making one out of 1/4" 5052 Plate :-) I have the GYTR Yamaha center skid, rear skid and A-arm guards. It climbs well! it powers through everything the big bores do that I ride with (Grizz 660, BF650, AC650, Rini 650)... except well top speed.. they got me there!

Ha, my front brakes squeak more than my rear, I just picked up my EBC pads for the rear - those will be going in over the winter.

Get the Winch - great deal for $69, the mount plate is another $40 or so and it is EASY to install, if you have decent mechanical ability you can do it... don't have the dealer do it unless you don't want to be bothered. Just mount the relay in the "trunk" under the seat - I can take pictures for ya if needed.

Great machine - If I had to do it again, I would buy the same machine! I am hoping that in the next 2-3 years.. Yamaha puts the Power steering and maybe 500 FI engine in their 500cc class machine!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again to all!

I'm thinking that the 26" tires would be overkill, at least initially. I doubt "Her Majesty, the Queen" will be
doing anything that would require the extra rubber. Who knows, though? There may be some hidden
demons in there that will come out once she hits the trails.

CraZy Steve, I am taking advantage of the winch deal. I would install it myself but the dealer is doing it
free of charge. I found it strange that he wouldn't discount the price of the Grizzly but did waive the
freight/prep charge and is doing the winch install. Must be some book keeping thing. ??

Quick Reply: '08 Grizzly 450 - new owner questions