Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Works shocks upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Works shocks upgrade...

I like to ride tracks some times and nasty trails,last time I hit a 15ft tabletop I bottomed out the rear and snapped the frame..Well I got that all fixed up(it will never break there again lol)but now I want to upgrade my suspention a little..From what I have found Works Suspention is the only aftermarket shock that will bolt on..How good are these shocks??I did a forum search and one guy said he loved them..Also the front suspention seems to be ok (oem) never have a problem with it..Is it possible because of cash reasons to just upgrade the rear without messing up my whole suspention??

Thanks..

Old 11-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

have you checked out elka? They make good shocks as well(suspossedly better than works for the money.

I would not see any problem with upgrading the rear and leaving the fronts stock for now.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

thanks I will look into Elka..

Old 11-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could have had any shock brand out there for the money I spent on my top of the line Elka Elites. I went with Elka because Ive rode many and many of bikes with Elka Custom Axis, PEP, TCS, Ohlins, and works. The majority of them I liked Elka Plus the fact that they have the absolute best rear end setup for the Banshee in the business giving me 9" stock shock travle to 11.5" with their Long Travel dual linkage and their LT Shock. Alot of people dont like how Elka valves their shocks which is why the go with a Custom Axi$$$$ or a PEP But if you give Elka all of your information to a tee they will valve it corectly the first time. For Instance I told them my Weight and riding conditions (Both standerd options when Elka valves their shock to suite your needs) I gave them more about how where and what terrain I ride on, My skill level (Mandatory for the correct valving and spring combo) Swingarm length what Tires I ride on most of the time ect. They came out 100xs better than I ever expected them to be.

Works shocks are a lower level shock company. They are always stiff and they cannot give you the ride that Elka or other top brands will give you but it costs alot more for a hi end racing shock with adjustments. With shocks you get what you pay for.

Also your stock front shocks are even worse than your rear in most cases. That with extended A-Arms if you want more stability is the way to go then save or buy your rear at the same time.

Also look on EBAY. Ive been seeing some good deals on Elkas one company were selling dual rate fronts no PB or RR No adjs for $360.00 thats a smokin deal Now I see another company selling the same shocks for $410.00 which is still a good deal for Elkas. A Rear Elka Comp/Rebound with RR usualy go for around $850.00-$875.00 and around $1000.00 for Elites. But in some cases if you buy front Elites $1100.00-1325.00 you can get them to throw in a rear Elite for 875.00

Old 11-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

cool thanks for all the good info [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By all means, if your rear seems to be the weak link, then upgrade that first. Just be prepared to want the fronts as well. There is nothing wrong with Works' products. They tend to go for the more recreational user via pricepoints and features. While some Works Steelers are no where near the quality of the top flight racing products, I know from experience they are much better than stock and all you really need if you are being realistic about your Wolverines capabilities. You would probably be better suited looking for a used 400 class or even Raptor/Predator for when you get the urge to hit those tables and doubles.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

yeah I think Scooter hit it on the nose,I looked into the Elka..and just the back is $800.00 for their cheapest model :/
I know for a fact hitting that 15ft table top in 5th gear ball to the wall is what cracked my frame when it bottomed out hard on landing (great air time though lol) I like to jump a little but to be honest hitting that jump at top end scared the crap out of me..I hust got all hyped seeing those racers fly lol..I want to be able to do a little jumping plus i'm a 215 lb rider I wanted something a little better than stock shock to take some pressure off the frame..

It was funny all the racer guys there told me after I stoped to inspect my bike..Wow man never seen a ute fly like that before(my wolverine is more set up like a ute)Being 39 and not in the greatest shape I was proud and sad at the same time lol looking at my snapped frame..Monday I'm going to call the guy at Works to see what he can do for me,plus my wife is giving me crap for wanting a 800.00 shock lol