Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz 450 cam mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yfz 450 cam mod

Thanks.

On another note, I bought it and the battery is dead, anybody know of any charging system issues with these quads? I will check the fluid on the battery and recharge to see if that is it, but I don't want to find out it has a bad stator or something either. When I ran it before buying we jumped it of another quad.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yfz 450 cam mod

What year is it? The '04 models have a problem charging unless you either run with the lights on or ride like the dogs of hell are on your back 90% of the time. That was supposed to be fixed for '05, but I run mine with the lights on to be safe. You can buy a resistor kit or a new stator from Ricky Stator if that is the case. A common upgrade is to a CBR600 battery as it is a bit bigger but will fit with only minor alteration to the stock plastics. The reality is these batts are ridiculously small and run out of juice fast. They also don't seem to have a lot of resiliency. If it gets totally discharged a few times they never seem to get all the power back, at least not on the few YFZ's I have had access to... Take that batt out and get her checked if it won't hold a charge.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz 450 cam mod

Thanks! It is an 04. You mentioned a stator from Ricky Stator, is that so it produces more charge at lower RPM or because after a while the stock stator wheres out?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yfz 450 cam mod

No, it doesn't wear out prematurely. Just higher output for charging and running aftermarket lights, etc. If yours still has the front lights on it, just run with them on all the time and you will be fine. Otherwise you can pick up the resistor kit through Yamaha and probably a few other places as well. Basically the charging system was designed to only work at higher RPM or at higher drain(lights on) so as to not leach power from the motor under lower speed conditions. That is fine if you race, not so much for us weekend warriors.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default yfz 450 cam mod

Got it, and thanks for the great info!