Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

07 Wolverine 450 Jet Kit and Powertip

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Wolverine 450 Jet Kit and Powertip

I just hit 200 miles and was thinking of adding a Powertip. I didnt want a different exhaust because when I use the machine for hunting I want it quite, the Powertip should allow enough extra flow to help some. I was curious if anyone has jetted the carb and didnt install an aftermarket exhaust? Dynojet sez you can gain with no exhaust, couldnt be much but may smooth out the powerband, pushing the throttle slowly while idoling, it seems to jump up rapidly at the lower revs, this is normal, my YZF1000 did the same before the jetkit, it was much smoother after. My Wolverine seems alittle rich stock with K&N filter so Ill try the powertip and new plug before I buy the jetkit. Has anyone tryed one of the Powertips without jetting at all? BTW my muffler has really turned color at the front, must get dam hot their, I hear jetting will also help the engine run cooler, comments please, thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 AM
ross.graziano

And while were on the subject, I havent installed my jet kit yet. Is it ok if I just put it on? Or should I add something more like exhaust?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of the time unless you are really changing the amount of air handled by your bike you do not need to rejet. With just the K&N filter you are probably good as far as your fuel mixture as the wolverines seem to be jetted a little rich from the factory.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dont even bother with a jet kit. Just go get the next couple of sizes larger, main jets. And a one size bigger pilot jet. At most, this is what youll need or use. And its much cheaper.
Just be aware of the drivability issues, and jet accordingly.
Heres a link to a good article on jetting yourself, and it also lists the synptoms of lean and rich.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.c...carburetion/index.html

Old 12-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

I ordered my Powertip today from Axis Alloy on Ebay, 29.99 Free shipping, I should have it in a few days so Ill try it first without jetting, change the plug and see how it looks after a few miles of riding. Nice article on jetting BTW, buying a few jets would be cheaper but the kit makes it easy and you have flexability for later mods.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

I called HMF about their jet-kit, the guy told me that their exhaust had only a 2 inch opening compared to the Powertips 2.5 inch and he really couldnt recommend their jet-kit but said try it and see if one of the larger jets may work. He later ended up saying Id be better off trying the Dynojet kit LMAO, I may just break down and buy the HMF exhaust if I cant get the jetting right. I know the stock jetting is really rich, but going from 1/2 stock opening to 2 1/2 is alot more flow regardless of it being the stock muffler, Iam afraid it may still be too lean, should I just order both kits and do the ride then adjust thing for hours??

Old 12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I would just order the dynojet kit and not worry about the hmf jet kit

Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you buy both kits, youll have alot of duplicate parts, which will never be used. At most a main jet is 3 bucks,but because of the piece of paper in the jet kit, they are like 8 bucks each. Quality is the same, no matter what kit you buy. Its just a chunk of brass with a hole in it, and everyone has the same blueprint.
I believe the jetting wont change much. I would seriously doubt you would need to go more than plus 4 on the main, and plus one on the pilot. If you buy the plus 3, and plus 4 mains, and a plus one pilot jet, that should do it. Just keep an eye on those symptoms of lean, and if you encounter them, jet richer.
Ive bought the exhaust tips before, and they work as good as the fuel line magnets. Lets face it,if the tips could add 3% like claimed....why would anyone buy the 800 dollar pipes which only add 5%?
I know my kodiak(same motor), wasnt overly rich stock. Ive gotta believe your wolfy with a KN filter installed, isnt rich anymore.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

The stock jetting is a 131.3 Main and a 17.5 pilot, Dynojet sez use their 132 Main and 18 pilot below 3000 feet and you have to drill something and use their needle on the third spacer down, sounds like fine tuning to me LOL. HMF's kit changes the Main jet only and comes with several above and below stock for only 12.95, cheapest Ive seen the Dynojet was around 50 bucks WOW!! Expensive.. Iam stumped, HondaBuster and CtateusA, I agree with both of you somewhat, Ill have to wait till tomorrow to get the tip and do some testing, Ill look around and price the jets by themselves and maybe find a better deal on the dynojet kit.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

yhea 50 bucks is about what the dynojet kit runs, the only reason i bought mine is because I have not ever jetted a carb so i wanted the instructions and an assortment of jets for future mods(no extra trips to the dealership, even though it is at the bottom of the hill from where I work)

Quick Reply: 07 Wolverine 450 Jet Kit and Powertip