Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee aftermarket suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee aftermarket suspension

Just thought I would try to get some help from you guys. I have a 2005 Banshee. Im 6 ft 5 and 245 pounds so as you can imagine the stock suspension is beating the hell out of me. I've decided to get aftermarket suspension. This is where I need you guys help. I only do dune riding and like to mainly run the bowls or shoot the hills. Im going to get the Marvin Shaw shocks with Res. Im getting +2+1 a-arms also. But this is where I dont know what to do. Some people have said that I should get a +2 swing arm and a +3.5 inch axle. I dont have a ton of money but also want my banshee to ride really nice. Do you guys think I need the extended swing arm? Extended axle? Any guys my weight ride a similar setup? Have gotten alot of good help on this forum before, just thought I would try again. Thanks alot

Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

I think widening your stance is definatly a nice thing on most any atv but I dont think that its required right off the bat. If your short on cash id go for those mods in this order:

1) aftermarket suspention (works is a good place to start)

2) extended axel

3) extended A-arms

4) unless your doing some power or you find yourself going over backwards i dont think you have to get an extended swingarm any time soon

Old 12-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

just read you already know what shocks you want so i gues you didnt need the recco for works shocks but anyhow, Do you jump? if your not jumping big you can get some billet wheel spacer blocks for the rear for like 100 bucks and do the same thing as a + axel for cheaper. I have 1.5" spacers on all four wheels on my wolverine which is a much heavier bike, with heavy tires, and I jump mine but not higher than 3 or 4 feet and have had no problems at all....

Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Ya I do some jumping off of bowls and and the top of the hills I shoot. All I have on it is toomey t5's and K&N's directly on the carb so no porting or anything..... YET haha. Is it not a good idea to have the front stance wider than the back? Might be a stupid question but I would like to have some more travel as well since I ride pretty aggressive at the dunes and am constantly bottoming out the shocks. I know the +2+1 a arms and new shocks will help this but does the extended swing arm help this as well?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you aren't currently having wheelie problems, then an extended swingarm isn't necessary at this time. I general, if only one end can be wider, it is probably better for the front to be that end. You could always look for a used aftermarket axle on ebay or maybe grab a GForce from Rocky Mountain. Another cheap way to add width to the rear is with wheel offset. I don't remember the stock offset, but if you are still running stock wheels you might pick up a couple of inches width in the rear that way. As for the bottoming, if the shocks you are buying are properly set up for your weight, arms, riding style and terrain, then they shouldn't bottom out much if at all. On the Banshee, I would recommend replacing that rear pogo stick at the same time so your suspension will be more even/sorted out.