Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 400 big enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
srj
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 400 big enough?

Thanks again, this has been sooooooo very helpful!
I had a thought: Does anyone think that a manual transmission is something that we should consider?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: srj

Thanks again, this has been sooooooo very helpful!

I had a thought: Does anyone think that a manual transmission is something that we should consider?</end quote></div>

Funny you should mention that.

Before I bought my Kodiak(Grizzly) 450SE I was considering a electric shift Honda. I was convinced that auto's would swamp too easy and manual was the only way to go.

Since I have a manual shifting 250 Beartracker I thought shifting would be no problem for a utility ATV, plus I have something to compare it to.

Then a few people convinced me that an auto was a good choice.

So I will say this: I don't mind shifting but the auto rules when you are in rough and changing terrains or if you are in some swampy stuff, you really don't want a foot shift for sure.

The engine braking is fantastic on steep declines, especially when negotiating rocky hills.

Swamping the drive for me has not yet been an issue (it's snorkelled) and Yamaha's Ultramatic is one of the best.

So if you like shifting or want a screaming sport quad then you may want to consider a manual.
If you want to negotiate rough terrain and drive around without worrying about which gear to be in, then consider the auto.

I know I wouldn't want to be shifting my snowmobile (if that was even ever possible) while I'm cruising along from near standstills to 110 MPH.

The choice should be based on your desires and the intended use of the machine.
Remember afterall, it is a toy more than a required item.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
srj
Weekend Warrior

That's helps a lot. I appreciate your advice, that comes from experience.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

If you're into the Yamahas, take a good look at the Big Bear 400 (386). Its a real workhorse. Low maintenance, old school air cooled, 5-speed, diff lock, IRS and the 1st gear is a real stump puller. Comes with better tires for snow. The 450 Grizz would work well also, and it's a little easier to shift back and forth between FWD & REV.
If you want the automatic, I would upgrade from the 400 Grizz to the 450 for plowing. Don't get me wrong, the 400 will plow ( I do my drive with a 350 Bruin), but the 450 will work easier

Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I just sold my Bruin 350 yesterday and I used it to plow my driveway for 2 years. It did not have a low gear or locker. It worked fine. My driveway is straight and has no incline, but it is large. 4 cars wide and 4 cars deep. I had no problems plowing. The only power problem I had with the bruin was when I put mudlites on it. I didn't notice much powerloss while riding, but when I got into thick mud the tires wouldn't even turn sometimes.
I personally think ATV's are like bottles of booze.. you can get the biggest one for a just a little more, and they way they are priced makes you ( or atleast me) want to get the bigger one. (Ok, I'm talking whiskey at this point)
The 660 Grizz is not much more then the 450..then the 700 is not much more then the 660..
The power of the Grizz 700 (and I'm sure the 660 also) is huger in comparison to the 350. Do you need all that power? Probably not.

Long story short, don't sell yourself short over a thousand dollars when you can get what you really want, or wish you had gotten down the road.

Personally, I'm happy I bought a bruin first, If I had a Grizz 660 or 700 first I probably would be dead right now. lol

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 PM
srj
Weekend Warrior

Wow, guys! This is great, thanks again for all the info. I'm going to drive all of them and look them over carefully, taking into consideration all that you have so generously shared with me. You made things a lot easier. I was a bit hesitant to even ask, initially, but the response was wonderful, very considerate of my situation and my "newness" to the forum and..............very much appreciated!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: west350bruin

I just sold my Bruin 350 yesterday and I used it to plow my driveway for 2 years. It did not have a low gear or locker. It worked fine. My driveway is straight and has no incline, but it is large. 4 cars wide and 4 cars deep. I had no problems plowing. The only power problem I had with the bruin was when I put mudlites on it. I didn't notice much powerloss while riding, but when I got into thick mud the tires wouldn't even turn sometimes.

I personally think ATV's are like bottles of booze.. you can get the biggest one for a just a little more, and they way they are priced makes you ( or atleast me) want to get the bigger one. (Ok, I'm talking whiskey at this point)

The 660 Grizz is not much more then the 450..then the 700 is not much more then the 660..

The power of the Grizz 700 (and I'm sure the 660 also) is huger in comparison to the 350. Do you need all that power? Probably not.

Long story short, don't sell yourself short over a thousand dollars when you can get what you really want, or wish you had gotten down the road.

Personally, I'm happy I bought a bruin first, If I had a Grizz 660 or 700 first I probably would be dead right now. lol</end quote></div>

I thought I sw you over at grizzly central because you posted something about selling your quad to a 15 yr old, and you had a new Grizz, and now that I see you pictures compared to your avatar there, I'm now sure.(if that didn't make much sense it's probly because I can't think straight right now.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: west350bruin

Personally, I'm happy I bought a bruin first, If I had a Grizz 660 or 700 first I probably would be dead right now. lol</end quote></div>

I test drove a 700 EPS Grizz, 3 months after I bought my 450. Yes the 700 has loads of torque and the EPS is uber sweet, but do you need it, NO, you may think you do but that's "want" talking. Yes I would say if money was no object I would get one for myself. Hell, I would get that and a wicked sport quad too.

I will say that a 700 EPS Grizz is one of the nicest, most powerfull utility ATV's I've been on, but you could buy one today and tomorrow they will come out with a 850 tomorrow and then you may want that.

Whatever you buy, enjoy it, enjoy the people your with while on it and use it for the things you want. You can have just as much fun on a 250 as on a 700!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:29 AM
srj
Weekend Warrior

The more I think about it, and considering our budget and needs, I'm feeling that the 450 will do the job. I like the idea of low range and also the idea of not having such a big machine for the family as they are learning the ropes. Sounds like it'll be entirely adequate for what we want to do, at this point. Maybe, should we want another one down the road, the bigger one would more attractive. Thanks again for all your help, EVERYONE!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Be sure to let us know what you get and take some pics! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Grizzly 400 big enough?