Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A Docotr in the HOUSE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Docotr in the HOUSE.

rebuilding top end is NOT hard. ALOT less moving parts on 2 stroke than junky four strokes. you can tear it down in probably an hour or less easily. even if you've never done it before. depending how bad the cylinder is scarred you can get away with a hone otherwise you'll have to get a machine shop to bore it. where are you from. i know some guys that will bore it fore pretty cheap. you can get a top end rebuild kit for like 100 bux shipped to your door.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You two smokers are a dying breed..Just see the light man..Junky four strokes?? Every major factory rides what??Thumpers..

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: toddmh

You two smokers are a dying breed..Just see the light man..Junky four strokes?? Every major factory rides what??Thumpers..</end quote></div>

I ride a 4 stroke, but in defense of the 2 strokes, they'd probably still rule the sport market if it wasn't for emissions. The simple fact is that they make more power, weigh less, are cheaper to build, cheaper to mod, and easier to work on.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just teasin anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I've rode more two smokers through the years them most of our members are old lol..But there will be a day when thumpers will be the only option..just in the last 10 years they have come leaps and bounds and are getting better every year..

Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Rebuilding a 2 stroke topend is not difficult and if your serious about ATVing, this could make a fantastic learning opportunity for you. I would recommend getting the service manual, you can download it here: http://www.rydindirty.com/blastermanual.pdf

You might also want to check out this walkthrough of the simple breakdown of the topend, which has some pics of what you can expect to see.

Third, you can always reconsult this forum and others for more help from your peers. Don't be afraid of a topend rebuild, its just one more skill to learn. It won't be long till someone is relying on you for instruction.

Happy Riding.
~HoundDog

Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

I live in Dearborn MI near Detroit i did order a piston kit . only thing left is finding a machine shop or someone who can bore my piston 40 over. if you know of any1 in the area let me know i am willing to drive an hour or 2 to get it bored. bump

Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Geez, you shouldn't have to drive nearly that far to get your cylinder bored and honed. Just go to a dealer or powersports shop and ask them where they go to get their machining done. Around here we have 2 good machine shops, one that is one of the best on the east coast, both within 30 minutes of my house, and we're just a little redneck town. There should be tons of them where you're at.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

thanks i just dont want some hillbilly boreing my cylinder in his garage with a drill gun.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol, why not? [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default A Hillbilly huh?

It's amazing what some "hillbillies" know that city slickers don't. Remember SlingBlade?....the movie....

Sometimes I'd rather take my stuff to someone who knows little about the world, but knows everything about what he knows.

Hey, Recon,....I'd love to have 4 stroke for my wife simply because she would be the one to let someone else borrow her ride, and they haven't a clue what 2 stroke means. So many people are just unfamiliar with these engines. Thuis the stigma.

Other than that, the emissions argument is bogus in my opinion as there aren't enough 2 stroke anythings out there to do any environmental damage to anything.

Even with evey 2 stroke weedeater and other 2 strokes in the world running at full-out for a week, there'd be little or no emmissions change in a city the size of Dallas, or bigger. There is only particulate matter, and that's not an emmisions issue of any sizeable issue either, with consumer products. Particulate is an issue with industry most times, as isthe rest of emmissions issues. But the end guy is gonna take all the whippings.

In the Dallas/Ft Worth are in the las 8 or so years the EPA has us using some really cool additive laden fuel that keeps the emmissions down (BS) in our area. In reality what it does is makes the exhaust gases heavier and they don;t go airborne. This make them hit th ground,....If I'm not mistaken that makes them part of our drinking water eventually. So much for the EPA's brilliance huh?

There was a company about 10 years back researching a 2 stroke CAR that had less emmissions than any 4 stroke on the market at the time. There may have been some advances in four stroke technology but none as close to ZERO as that vehicle was. The death of 2 strokes is nothing more than a political issue. Never was anything else.

The biggest issue I've had with my 2 Blasters is Tires. For god sake those factory tires are pathetic, but I can't justify replacing them yet as they still have lots of tread. I am constantly having to patch tiny holes made by sticks and tiny hard plant's that have dried up and become hard. No thorns, no other major tire damage, just little crap all the time. I must be keeping the green slime business booming!

I did put some of the Swamp Fox tires on the front of the old one just after I got it last spring, and those have not had a problem yet. Awesome tires. Great steering controllers. BIG HEAVY tread.

I'm so tired of "tree huggers" screwing up the world. I was ok with the "don't litter" programs of the past, but they have taken the whole "green" thing too far nowadays.

Quick Reply: A Docotr in the HOUSE.