Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR owners YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read a post below about the PRO DESIGN FILTER KIT not sealing properly onto the mounting flange. .

********** To check yours take off your lid and try pushing the rubber flange of the filter IN THE MIDDLE ON THE TOP SIDE in and out, it will move freely!

******* UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Having noticing this and immediately calling pro design on thursday, they UPS NEXT DAY AIRED me a new flange, they ARE VERY NICE PEOPLE THAT REMEDY THEIR MISTAKES! I got the new flange which has a thicker top and bottom for the clamp to actually hold the filter better. I think that every atv performance part maker should be as kind as PRO DESIGN!

Old 01-11-2001, 12:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Does it seem like the new pro-design flange is out of round? Or is the rubber filter flange too big? What is Pro-Design doing about this? They should be re-building engines! Keep us posted as to what happens.

Old 01-11-2001, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Im not one to knock someone elses **** till i see it for myself, but, I too have heard of this problem with the Pro Design filter setup on the Raptor

Old 01-11-2001, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

I posted the info about the Pro Design filter setup not sealing on the top and bottom of the flange. It is a long oval shape and the clamp puts most of its pressure on the sides and very little on the top and bottom. Tom at Pro Design agreed with me over the phone. He wants me to bring it by. I haven't had time this week. I'll probably go there next week. I bought a new air box and lid from Yamaha. I was shocked at the price - only $25 for the box and lid. I now have the stock filter setup back on my Raptor. I was not trying to get more performance (i.e. air flow). I wanted a setup that was easier to install the filter and lid and hopefully do a better job of filtering. I ride at Glamis and Dumont Dunes where the the sand is VERY fine and can get into just about everywhere. In my opinion the stock setup does a better job. I'll see what Tom has to say next week.

Old 01-11-2001, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

If the problem is the clamp then someone should be able to come up with something different than a big hose clamp. On car and truck I have seen clamps on oval air intake hoses.

Old 01-11-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I just checked mine and it doesn't flex at all. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Chasman
01 blk/wht raptor

Old 01-11-2001, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

actually instead of camplaining about it maynard go get it checked. if it was that bad you would make time to go. As I said above mine doesn't move, maybe you guys that have one that is moving didn't install it correctly. Why else would some of you have problems and some of us not have problems. Just my opinion don't want to start an arguement.

Chasman
01 blk wht raptor

Old 01-11-2001, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

The reason for the leak is that the oval shape of the intake nozzle is to flat on the bottom and top. The guys that arent haveing any problems probably cranked the clamp extremely tight. There is a cure however. MT Racing has a similar product to prodesigns but has a clamp peice that goes between the clamp and filter to hold down in the center. it has a polihedral shape like an air plane wing. or kinda D shaped. It works realy well with no leaks.

Old 01-11-2001, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

mtecate,
You and one other person in this post seem to understand what's wrong with the oval shape design. The flat top and bottom will never seal completely. Yes, you can tighten the clamp very tight and it will appear to be ok but Glamis sand WILL get by it. Do you have a phone #, or part #, or something for the clamp mod you mentioned? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2001, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

Like I said, I will go when I have time. My job is extremely busy this week and work comes before play for me.

Quick Reply: RAPTOR owners YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!