Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 KODIAK 450 NO FIRE, AND DIMM, WEAK SPARK

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 KODIAK 450 NO FIRE, AND DIMM, WEAK SPARK

No, a battery is needed to bump start.
I would think the cdi is good. Either they work or they dont..and you have a spark, its just weak.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

got you on the battery part !

just tried pull starting it, i get exact same result, weak, deam spark and no fire at all.

got a battery hooked up, waiting for a friend to come over with a car to try bump start.

will get back tonight
thank you so far !!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

also had one of the members from another forum mention to me his case with timming being off.

could that me my problem maybe ?
how would i check this here ??

__________________________________________________ ______________
Hmmm did you check when you get the spark, timmng could be off. Had a flywheel slip a bit on me befor the key jammed to hold it again, wouldn't run. gl
__________________________________________________ ______________

let me know please,
thanks...

Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Its posible the timing is off, check to see if the pick up coil is loose. Seems to me, it cant move much, it should be pinned and fixed. I suppose the key could be partially sheared, and that would throw off the timing.
One other thing...did you check the pilot(idle) jet in the carb? If its plugged, itll make it very hard to start. Make sure to use full choke when you pull start it, its not really a choke but an enrichener, and that should provide enough gas even if the pilot jet is plugged.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got a chance to try bump starting it tonight,
first pull at about 10 km/h it fired up the first time ever ! just for a couple seconds
then quickly died and never managed to start again,
I tried differant ways in H in N with the brake, with electric start and pull start, nothing at all.

note:
after attempting all this, took the spark plug out and it was wet with fuel.
tried starting it with out the plug to clean out fuel from inside.
when i try to start with the plug, no fire offcourse and the plug is wet again
seems like its fooled. when plug is wet it will not fire correct ?

thannks...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct. You might have a carb problem that you need to address.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree, check the carb, especially the pilot jet.Sure seems like its gonna be a carb issue which is gonna fix it. If you cant see thru the tiny center hole,of the pulot jet, get a new one, they are like 5 bucks. Make sure all the floaties and chunks are out of the float bowl too.
Then get a new spark plug, Once a plug has been heavily fouled , its hard for them to fire again.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks guys,

will look into my carb today, to see if everything is good there.

one thing i dont understand is, if the carb was not good I would not get my plug fauled and fuel in the cylinder correct ?
so to me atleast the diaphragm and pump is good. otherwise i would get no fuel at all correct ?

thanks...

Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The only diapham is at the top of the carb( to seal the slide piston), theres no pump...either fuel pump or accelerator pump.
What happens, is the idle circuit can be plugged, and that leads to a no start....then the throttle gets opened, this makes the mid range and main jets operate, which can overwelm the cylinders ability to clear out. It doesnt take much, and the spark plug will stop sparking. Then it gets worse, with no burning going on.
I think the solution is coming soon, youll get it figured out. But I think the whole trouble started with a plugged pilot jet, and once that is sorted out, itll run like new. The electronics on modern quads are pretty bullet proof, its the little mechanical things which go wrong.
To keep the pilot jet from plugging up again....make sure when ever the machine is off for more than a day, turn the fuel valve to off, and run the motor til it dies. This leaves the float bowl dry, and the jets dry. If you leave the gas valve on...the gas in the float bowl will evaporate, and the bowl will refill, many times. This leads to deposits forming in the small pasageways of the carb, and the pilot jet is the smallest passageway, and thats why its always the first to clog.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
EdF
Weekend Warrior

I'm not so familiar with ATV's (I have a problem with mine I can't solve) but after having many bikes, one favourite fault was with what in the UK we call the HT lead (High Tension lead ), which is the wire/cable to the spark plug. They can get old or damaged and crack and short out. Maybe worth a look... With a car, if you can get it running but suspect a fault with them, opening the hood at night you can see the flashes where the leads short out. I guess it's not so much of a problem these days, but it certainly used to be..

Quick Reply: 2003 KODIAK 450 NO FIRE, AND DIMM, WEAK SPARK