Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Help

2mm over sounds like the max bore too. After that you'll have to resleeve. I would get something less if I could, but its up to you. Wiseco has a 10.25:1 in .5mm and 1mm over. That will give you more options later if you wear it out. Machine work and parts usually costs about 250 around here. Leave the base gasket out and maybe you'll get the other .25 in compression. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'd still look into getting a "real" carb and throwing that goofy CV carb in the trash (or ebay for some sucker).

The most HP gains you could posibly ever see from a 1 or 2mm jump in piston size is .25 to .5 HP. And that's from a pc simulation program (optimal conditions) and not even real world (not optimal).

Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Warrior Help

Yeah, it sucks but I think thats all JE makes. So if you didn't want to bore it that much you'll have to check Wiseco out like Randy said.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

ok thats not what i had in mind lol I really just want to put some money into my warrior so i can come close to my buddies 400's. they dont walk me or run off and leave me i would just like to surprise all them this summer when even in the straights they can't pull on me as hard.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

Serioultly , do not spend much money trying to boost your Warrior , You far better to sell your warrior and buy a z400 sor someting better ! Do not forget that warrior is air cooled and are very suspect to overheat !

Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

Can anyone else vouch for this overheating stuff? I've ownd several air cooled machines in my day and never had issues with overheating. But I never had a warrior.

Apparently the z400 has 11:1 compression, weighs roughly 30lbs less than the warrior, and has a much bigger bore and shorter stroke and shorter rod (which gives the z400 the ability to rev out much higher in theory). So trying to keep up to even a stock one is going to require a lot of engine work and/or finding a way to drop a LOT of weight.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Warrior Help

My Warrior is pretty much maxxed out and I never have any overheating problems. This is mt 3rd modified Warrior and I have never had any overheating problems. I ride trails that are extremely tight and some that are wide open.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default Warrior Help

My Warrior is also about maxed and I have no issues with overheating, and I even went a range hotter on the spark plug.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

Yeah usually engineers use a 15-25% factor of safety in their designs. I'm sure the warrior can be overheated, but under anything resembling normal use its not very likely. Its a time tested machine after all.

What defines overheating anyway? When the engine glows red? I've never had a any issues with overheating, but I have used my bayou to plow dirt so much that I sometimes stop n spray a bit of water on it to regain some power. But that is by no means anything close to normal use. More like putting your quad against a large tree and trying to push it over for about 20 minutes w/o stopping.

Now, I've had plenty of cars overheat. They are water cooler too. From a reliability standpoint, I'd rather have an air cooled car than a water cooled one because most of my issues with them have been water boiling over or freezing. There is one in the driveway now that somebody put water in and it froze up and now it wont run right. But, air cooled cars are few. To hard to cool under the crowded hood. And cars run lean to pass emissions testing, so they need all the help they can get to stay cool.

Seems to me an atv with a good oil cooler n fan should be good enough if you drive slow a lot and pull heavy loads or push dirt around like a bulldozer. Water cooling is just another fluid you have to keep up on and worry about. But that's just my view on things.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

Well i didnt mean to start a fight in here but that was the other route i was thinking about going. I just bought a KFX400 that needed some work but it runs strong as hell (and i got it for practically nothing). I could just build it but it would be way more satisfying to me to outrun them on my warrior. Some of my buddies have jumped on the 450 bandwagon, and yeah in a straightline they walk me, but in the woods they cant get out of my sight. And they give me hell for not buying a 450 but when they get stuck on roots and rocks and mud, my warrior keeps on trucking. For what i do i cant beat my warrior, could i go faster? of course. Does it do all i need to do and make my buddies feel like **** because they cant run off and leave a 350? yes. Thats really the only reason i wanted to put money in my warrior, but i guess the KFX would be an easier route.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

Nobody is fighting that I can tell. At least I'm not. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Whatever you want to do is up to you to decide. We just handle the technical part of it, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Warrior Help