Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR axle width and brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to buy a wider axle for my Raptor and I am looking for some input from fellow Raptor owners on how wide I should go and what brand I should go with. Any info on best prices and from where would be helpful as well. Thank's.

Old 01-16-2001, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I went with the dura blue 4inch and that thing
is sweet good money well spend

Old 01-16-2001, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

I recently put on the durablue eliminator. It is a Banshee 2+2, which makes it at least a 3+5 on the Raptor. I am very pleased in the increased stability that the wider rear track gives, but so far I am not too impressed with the durablue. After a couple of rides the locknut loosened up. I reinstalled it with loctite blue this time! If I was to do it again, I would seriously look at the Lonestar.

If you want to take a look at it, let me know, I'm in Peoria.

Matt.Swartz@honeywell.com

Old 01-16-2001, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

I went with the durablue eliminator also and I love it! The Raptor will now power slide like crazy with no tippy feeling. I have had a durablue on my sons 250r for 3 years now with no problems. If you get one for the Raptor ask about the modified locknut, you need about 1/8" off the nut to get the lock clips in easy.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

I've been considering a wider axle as well.
I've considered the following:

OEM Banshee axle -- about an inch wider (I think) and could be purchased for next to nothing.

Durablue -- A well known brand, options of 3"/5" over, lifetime replacement for the first break, priced around $285-$300

Lonestar -- Known for high quality, supposedly made just for the Raptor, so you should be able to get 2"/4" over, lifetime replacement-forever?, and a cost around $340.

Anyone care to comment on how these options stack up? Because I ride in mostly tight woods, I want the rear tires to be close to the same width as the stock a-arms. Meaning, I can't go + 4, so I'll probably have to stick with + 2. Would 2 inches over even make that big of a difference in handling?

Old 01-16-2001, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Bash, Instead of a wider axle. A set of 9x9 douglas red label wheels and 22" holeshots will make your rear end 45-1/8" wide. Just a little wider than the front end, about the same as a 400ex. Thats what I did to mine. I too ride mostly in tight woods and it works great. I would suggest also a good set of nerf bars too keep from bending or catching the rear axle on trees.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Bash,
I put on a Lonestar +4 for a banshee and also inch1/2 spacers on the front plus 19" holeshots on the front and 18"s in the back....you want to talk about being able to rail...holy@#$%.....sits alot lower too...300% better.....

Old 01-16-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

ALZ: I too have the Eliminator axl and i have found a remedy for the cheesy-*** set screw that Dura blue sends you. I Taped out the hole that the set screw goes in and installed a allen headed screw. I think it is a 5mm. you can get way more leverage on it than the set screw that they give you. it hasnt come loose yet

Old 01-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

wurm250,
How do you like the 22" tires on your Raptor? I am trying to decide whether to stay with the 20" or go to a 22". Did you change the gearing and did you put on bigger front tires? Is it fairly stable with the tires? I am planning on running some harescrambles and I think I will need some more ground clearance. What offset wheels did you use?

Old 01-20-2001, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

I like the tires just fine. I have 23" frt. and 22" rear holeshots I did go to a 12 and 41 tooth sprockets. I might also try a 42 tooth rear. It is gear just a tad lower than stock now, but in the really tight stuff it is a little tall [gearing]. I put some new 20' holeshots on the rear and felt like it lost too much top end. I believe the 9x9 douglas wheels only come in one offset 4x5 but not sure. I do know that the way mine is set-up it's about as wide as you want too be and race in the mo. harescrambles series. I have raced inthis series for the past 5 yrs. I had a set of 10x5 red labels on the front 3x2 offset and it made the front too wide. I raced it that way one time and bounced the front off of way too many trees. I feel that the tipsy feeling is about the same as stock, but I will take the ground clearance any day. Hopefully someone will have the new mshc schedule posted this week end.I hope too see you at the races this year.

Quick Reply: RAPTOR axle width and brand?