Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

more Raptor jetting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the complete CT Racing pipe and Prodesign filter kit. The jetting supplied by CT was 170/175 mains. I installed the mains and raised the needle one position. My Raptor runs very well, but occasionally backfires when I let off the throttle. Is this normal??? What adjustments does the jetting need?

I pulled the plug and the electrode was a dark tan.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:35 AM
Range Rover

Mine does the same thing with the Big Gun installed. I went with 180/185 mains, 27.5 pilots, and one on the needle, the air box is off also. I was thinking I was a little rich, but if your at 170/175, now I don't know. Went I talked to BG about it they said it could be a lean or rich situation, right thanks a lot! Boy the jetting on these Raptor is a pain, I hope someone can get it right.

Old 01-16-2001, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

did you raise the clip or needle?raising the clip will lean it out. just wondering, i have a complete biggun with 150,155 mains and it is still lean, the 27.5 pilots have not come in yet,i ordred 160,165, today and a pro flow kit

Old 01-16-2001, 03:31 PM
Range Rover

Lower the clip to raise the needle, I'm not a complete amateur at this I have the pro-flow also, don't over tighten it thats where some guys are having trouble. Let us know how the jetting goes.

Old 01-16-2001, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Guy from Pro Design told me to not run the Raptor with the Filter lid off. Anyone hear of this? Anyhow, i just got my Pro design filter in and i already have the BG exhaust system. Gonna try a little different jetting, thinkin about 167.5 and 172.5 with the 27.5 pilots. Any opinions on this? Why are some of yall messing with the needle position? Not saying that yall are wrong, just wondering if yall are getting a different story from some other MFG.

Old 01-16-2001, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The backfiring can be caused by an air leak in the exhaust system. Check the header pipe @ the cylinder and @ the junction where it meets the muffler portion for a leak. It doesn't have to be very big.

Rude Dog

Old 01-16-2001, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Rudedog,

I'll second that. Just put on a FMF powerbomb. A little leak at the block, caused a "fire show" out the back...got it under control and the snapping stopped.

Old 01-16-2001, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

Badraptor,

Hey man. I just put on a Pro Flow myself, following a week of playing with a Pro Circuit Silencer (well it's not too silent). Anyway, after mounting the filter, with no other adjustments, I now have a "dead spot" at mid-range. I think either the filter flows better and now the pilots need increasing, or the vaccuum flaps aren't opening correctly...the one on the right seemed a little sluggish by hand. Today I put an FMF Powerbomb headpipe on (I know that's not your recommendation). Anyway, the dead spot is still there, and I think jetting probably needs increased to maybe 155/160s. I'm trying it tomorrow, even though both of the exhaust manufacturers say you don't need to. Got any ideas? P.S. hear about Crooms closing off?

Old 01-16-2001, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

AZLandscaper, I run the same system from CT Racing. CT pipe, CT muffler, Supertrap 16 disc,Profilter, no airbox lid,

I found mine ran the best with 180,185 main jets.
I did not mess with the needles, or pilots.

The poping on decceleration is normal. The leak around the header pipe is the origin. Don't sweat it, doesn't hurt a thing.

I love the system, major improvement in the mid to topend.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

For what it's worth since I'm also in AZ and I'll give you my mods and tuning. Stock pipe with spark arrestor removed, air box lid off (I used two screws on the top of the filter to keep the filter in place and a tight seal.) and 160/165 jet's. No adjustment on the pilots, screws, or needles. The bike runs perfect throughout the R.P.M. range.

Quick Reply: more Raptor jetting