Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs. Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if anybody with a slightly modified Wolverine has tried running against a Rubicon.
I tried my stock (with 25" tires) Wolverine against my friends Rubicon, and it's clear that I need more power, but I need to know how much.
Here's what we found out.
On an uphill drag (snowy conditions) they were close, but he would leap out to a lead and hold it.
On a flat road he would get away from me in the first few gears, then, by the time I was ready to shift into fourth I could stay at that distance from him, but the quads are so even for top speed that I couldn't reel him in.
As for climbing, in the conditions we were in (deep snow) his extra ground clearence gave him a distinct advantage. I think in the summer he'll have a hard time finding a hill that I won't be able to follow him up, but we'll have to wait and see for that.
So, I'd like to know if adding a pipe and jet/filter kit would make them more even.

Don't like losing.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Try your stock tires!Or go get a 650 prairie then you will kill me,with speed anyway.Later

Old 01-16-2001, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe this weekend I'll throw on the 23"s and try a drag, but like I said last weekend, I don't think I'll keep up with you for top speed like that. But it might make th edifference in a drag race.
And I'm willing to spend alot of money on the Wolverine to make it better before I'll go and buy a Prairie. Think how much I'd get on a trade, how much it would cost for the 650, and how much money that would leave me to spend on the Wolverine. If I actually did spend that much money (which I won't!!) you'd never catch me!

Old 01-16-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I think you be better off to keep your's anyway,just kidding with you.Just imagine how it will cost just to keep that going in the long run,and to boot kawasaki parts are expensive.

Old 01-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

A wolverine is a trail bike and is not designed to realy be a mud machine like the rubicon so there is no real comparison.

Old 01-18-2001, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

Add a pipe, prodesign intake, keep the 25' on it they hurt on the bottom but give you 3-5mph on top. putting some air in them dosnt hurt either 4psi is to low for a drag race, then try a cam, the wolverines head ports are restricted so the engine does not over rev, port them out rejett cam pipe and filter, and you can take em. but he still will be able to out climb, mud, and pull you,unless you bore to a 490, then, good god, his day is done.

Old 01-19-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm not really worried about the mud. I want to make it more competitive on the trails.
They're already pretty close. Like I said, he gets away from me on the low end; once we're moving and in the trails he'd never lose me. I just need a bit more snap to even things up off the start.
And I don't think you should underestimate the Wolverine in the mud. You'd be pretty amazed at the places a good driver can take one.

Old 01-19-2001, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

Hey Newfie, where the heck is Garson?

Old 01-19-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

It's just north of Sudbury.
Where the heck is Cayuga?
What do you ride?

Old 01-22-2001, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

Cayuga is just south of Hamilton. I ride a 2000 Scrambler 400 2X4.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs. Rubicon