Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450 engine mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 engine mods?

I have a 07 Wolverine 450, bone stock. I am thinking of adding a pipe, K&N air filter and a jet kit but am but off by the price tag of every thing. The machine needs more power.

Is the power I will gain worth the $350-400 in parts? Is it a significantly noticable gain in power.

Which is the best pipe to get? I was thinking of the GTYR pipe.

Is anybody doing air box mods to get more air into the carb.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

At least for me it worth the money.
I have the HMF pipe, it's a little loud, but the power gains are really nice. It is like US$ 250 and comes the basics main jets for the carb you will need to instal. The machine now revs faster, it's really a good modification.
As far as an air filter, i don't have one yet, but i read that you gain a little more power, not so much, but it's something. I think i will buy a UNI, it's like US$ 20 or so. The other possibility it's the K&N you mencioned (About US$ 50) , i think they let the air flow very well but i have listened that they are not recomended for dusty areas because they allow some dust get into the engine.

good luck with your wolvy wake up....

Old 05-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rrpaul1

I have a 07 Wolverine 450, bone stock. I am thinking of adding a pipe, K&N air filter and a jet kit but am but off by the price tag of every thing. The machine needs more power.

Is the power I will gain worth the $350-400 in parts? Is it a significantly noticable gain in power.

Which is the best pipe to get? I was thinking of the GTYR pipe.

Is anybody doing air box mods to get more air into the carb.</end quote></div>

so far it looks like machining your clutch is the best bang for your buck. its something like $120 shipped there and back and it greatly improves all-around performance

Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the GYTR pipe myself. I figured that it would be great because it was from yamaha and designed for the wolvy specifically. So I knew it would fit right. That the jet kit and a K&N really did help wake it up, The only time I have ever seen a K&N filter let dirt into a engine is when it is not properly maintained in dusty conditions. (ran on 2 trucks a car and now my wolvy) Plus several of them we service where I work.

Bigjake the reason I replaced the GYTR rack for the cmp rack is that I wanted more room to carry stuff. I still havent mounted it due to the fact that I dont have a trailer and it will hit my back glass in my truck. I will be installing it next month for a trip to Michigan though. They have a special mounting bracket for the wolvy 450 and the rack is just a universal rear rack.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info.I assumed the CMP was bigger,judging from the pics.I'm going to give them a call to order one,sice they don't answer their emails.Can you tell me if your 06' is different in the front from my 08'?CMP only lists their front racks for the 06.Since I don't know much about the Wolverine model,other than it went from a utility to a sport.Is the 06 a "transition" year?I seem to see a lot of accessories listed only up to that year.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunatly CMP nolonger sells to customers directly but they will direct you to who you need to call to purchase one. 06 is the first year of the body style and the 450 motor. With a completely new machine it takes a while for companies to come up with stuff for it(unless its a raptor, yfz, big grizz, or top sport bikes) ;P

Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks.I just found a vendor on Ebay that sells the rack for $140.00.I'll just order it from them.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biggjake

Thanks.I just found a vendor on Ebay that sells the rack for $140.00.I'll just order it from them.</end quote></div>

whats the vendors name?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Vendor's name is " acjracing". I bought it last night,and got notification it was shipped today.I'm hoping to see it early next week.

On a side note for anyone who has an 07-08 Wolverine that wants to mount a winch,a lot of mfg.'s I've been looking at (Venom,Extreme,Gorilla) Have great pricing,but don't list a mount for those years. I found out that at least the Gorilla and the Venom will fit an 08' Warn mount,which is easy to find.I'm ordering a 4000# Venom this week also.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey i was wondering if the 2008 wolverine 450 have a parking brake, because i put mine in park on the shifter and my atv still rolls, but it clicks when it does it like the parking mechanism doesn't work and i was wondering if there was a parking brake that i'm missing, or if they screwed something up at the dealership when they gave it to me.

Quick Reply: Wolverine 450 engine mods?