Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

best quad 2 drag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best quad 2 drag!!!

im wanting a few opinions on the best quad to drag race out the factory? i know it should probably be set up for that specific type of racing, but i wanna know about straight out-the-box racing. i have an outlaw and it does good and i haven't modded it really. my freind says the banshee or the ds650 is the best out-the-box drag quad but he isnt to reliable, he likes to pretend to know everything. but im not sure about other quads because i havnt seen to many of these newer ones.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Why race a stock quad? The Yamaha 450 or the newer Honda 450's are probably the fastest out of the box.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

building a quad takes time and MONEY. somthing i dont have. i want somthing i can race a few times before i start modding it. i wont race my 525 because of the IRS, it doesnt like the drag strip too much. 450's sound fast, ill look into them.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm really confused??

You want to sell your quad (for a loss) and buy a new quad that you won't have money to modify (because you are spending money on a new quad) AND you want to win drag races.

Your Outlaw should be a great bike. Not the best for drags but, fast for sure and although I haven't ridden one, I'm sure it is a blast to ride.

If you want to pick up a used bike, the Banshee's are by far the fastest if they are modified. Downside. . . reliability and poor ride for the trails or the dunes. You never know what you are getting when buying a used 2-stroke.

The DS. . . I just switched over from a DS. I loved the bike but, they are probably the most expensive bike to modify. The 450's with a pipe and the Raptor with the 3-mod (Pipe, air filter and Power Commander) will take a DS with a pipe and other misc. mods.

A Raptor with the 3-mod is a very quick bike. That's going to run you about $8k though. How much are you going to get for your Outlaw??? $4500??? That's $3500 you are going to spend to go just a little faster??? Or, is this going to be a second bike? If it is just a drag bike for you, the used Banshee is an inexpensive (relatively) option.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

If you are going to sink some money in a quad to drag race in the future then you need the banshee like DuneMe said.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

listen to the other guys, a yfz450 or a raptor 700 to start with, but if your gonna get real serious about drag racing, you can't keep everything stock. i am getting my quad set up for drags this summer and i'm sorry to say it hasn't been cheap so far. the place to start is air filter, efi controller,and exhaust, but more important than them is your gearing. if you are gonna be doing short drags, i would start by taking the front sprocket down one tooth...makes a big difference in acceleration.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

me and my older cuz are gonna buy a quad to drag race, we want somthing used, but we want it close to stock that way we can work on it from the ground up, i dont wanna buy a quad that someone has already built. the reason i wanted to know what the fastset out the factory quad was is because their is alot of people where i live thats buying them new and then turning around and selling them a good bit cheaper. out here its all about utilitys, amd when they get a racer they get stuck in the muddy trails we got around here and getting rid of them, i already found a 07 honda 450r in the paper for 4800, selling for a 4x4 i talked to the guy, no warantys on it but flat stock, racers are cheaper up here in the moutains for some reason. but were gonna build our quad over time, drag racing is just gonna be a hobby.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Banshee! By far the best quad for drag racing! Anyone that says different does not know what they are talking about.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: baddboyy21

Banshee! By far the best quad for drag racing! Anyone that says different does not know what they are talking about.</end quote></div>

quadzilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just 2 problems. it will blow up on you, and its a dukie bike...

Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

if you look at the new ltr 450 and the kfx 450 they are fuel injected. the 700 raptor is also efi. that means when you throw a pipe filter or anything of the sort you dont have to deal with a carb. problem the EFI does the jetting for you. The banshee is a really quick bike probably the fastest stock bike you can get. but they no longer make new 2 strokes srry. i would go with the fuel injection(EFI)
The ltr/Kfx 450 are great for the track when they are stock, they are really wide and light weight. the 700R is heavy but really quick.

Quick Reply: best quad 2 drag!!!