Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP! Dirt in motor!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Dirt in motor!

I just bought a 2008 Raptor 250 SE not too long ago. I had the guys at the local Power Sports shop put all the pieces on it (the ones that were supposed to come with the GYT-R SE Raptor) along with my new GYT-R Air Filter and Billet Adapter Plate.

I was taking off the air filter so I can take it home and clean it and I noticed dirt inside the air duct. I definitely do NOT want that! I mean, it was a little but just a few grains will tear up your engine.

Can anyone tell me how to clean it out of my engine? Is there anything that I can do? Of did I notice something that can't be fixed in enough time to sell it or trade it in?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me out here!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

ok so was the dirt in the Air duct the plastic thats around the filter or did it make it in your carb. just clean your carb and keep on rolling. i think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. it's an ATV it's suppose to get dirty.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know much about carburetors other than what they do and how to jet them. As far as taking one apart and cleaning it, I'm clueless.

When I took my air filter off I saw dirt in the air duct that leads to the carburetor. I don't think that any has gotten that far but I really over-payed for the quad, so I want to keep it as new for as long as possible.

As you can tell, I baby it. Maybe a little too much. I just don't want this to be a $5k+ paperweight.

Any tips on disassembling a carburetor? And if anyone knows, make it simple enough for a 3rd grader, if possible. Thanks a MILLION!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Range Rover

This will happen from time to time, fine dust can bypass the air filter if it is not oiled correctly and it will just pass thru and some will end up suspender in the engine oil. don't get me wrong this isn't a good thing but sounds like you caught it in time so just reservice the air filter spray out the carb with carb cleaner like justhangingout said and if it looks dirty change the oil. You'll be fine Make sure you are doing the right air filter service for the type of filter you put on. If It has done any cylinder damage you would know right away. It would start to use oil and start smoking. I have had this happen to me and I just clean it out and forget about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I wouldn't take the carb apart just spray some cleaner thru it, If your talkin about a lot of dirt you may want to take it off pull the slide up an just spray thru it and put it back on. No dirt should have gotten into the float bowl from the air intake on the carb.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

I really hope you didn't pay $5k+ for that thing...

Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

Viper5, thank you. That really put me at ease. Thanks a million! Do they make a spray that you just spray down the air duct or do you have to take the carburetor out and spray the inside?

SS454, yea, I did. I paid like $5110 for it. That included tax, tags, and docs, plus finance application and "freight cost". Ripped off? Yea, extremely!

I wasn't aware that I overpaid for it. I was new to ATVs so I had no idea. I did research online and knew that was the one that I wanted. MSRP on the SE was $4499. It's not bad for a 250. King of that class. Tops out at 55 m/h, too.

She's my baby.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BamaSlamma

Viper5, thank you. That really put me at ease. Thanks a million! Do they make a spray that you just spray down the air duct or do you have to take the carburetor out and spray the inside?

SS454, yea, I did. I paid like $5110 for it. That included tax, tags, and docs, plus finance application and "freight cost". Ripped off? Yea, extremely!

I wasn't aware that I overpaid for it. I was new to ATVs so I had no idea. I did research online and knew that was the one that I wanted. MSRP on the SE was $4499. It's not bad for a 250. King of that class. Tops out at 55 m/h, too.

She's my baby.</end quote></div>

MSRP was $4499? WOW! MSRP on my Wolverine 450 was $5999 and I paid less than you out the door...

Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

you can just use normal carb cleaner but then you might get some in your jets. it's not hard just take the carb off and the bottom of it where the bowl is and clean it out. you might not have to do that just yet. only if it start acting sluggish when you get on it. as for the air filter they make a oil that you can buy to spray on it and also a cleaner. i wouldn't be to worried about it. i'd be worried about your **** virginity cause the dealership bent you over like a shot gun.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

LMFAO! Nice one Justhanginout. That was awesome!

Yea, I did get raped on that deal and I'm sure that the salesman ate it all up. I tried with them on getting the price down but he was an ***.

Well, I learned my lesson and it won't happen again, I promise you that! I won't go back to them again and I won't let anyone else go there either.

Now when I take the carburetor off do I need to do anything else prior to that? Do I need to change the fuel gauge to off? And when I take the carburetor off is there going to be parts falling off all over the place? And what do I spray the carburetor with?

I cleaned the GYT-R filter and recharged it today. Got on it this evening and it sputtered a little but I took the choke off it and rode it for 10 seconds, stopped, and let it idle and it did fine. Guess the recharge oil had to be broken in a little. Other than that it rode okay, so I don't think that dirt has gotten past the carburetor.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

SS454, your Wolverine only does 53 m/h? You're kidding, right? Why so slow?

Quick Reply: HELP! Dirt in motor!