Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster Alignment Questions

Hello,

I am in the middle of a rebuild on project blaster( bought as a basket case). I have painted the frame with POR 15 and installed new bushings for the front suspension. After reassembling, I am noticing that the camber angle for one of the tires is greater than the other. Its leaning more towards the center frame than the other side. I understand that the tires are suppose to lean in towards the center of the bike at the top of the tire but how do you get both sides exact. All was dissembled and I didn't notice anything was bent. What can cause this condition. All I can come up with is a bent front hub / knuckle.

Thanks
Chuck

Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's not adjustable with the stock suspension. Just look for something that's bent or worn. Bad a-arm bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, bent a-arms, tweaked frame, they can all make it uneven. I knew someone that had a blaster with the same problem as you're describing. One of his upper a-arms was visibly bent, which is what caused it.

My warrior was the same way, I always blamed it on a tweaked frame but I never really confirmed it. Once I got aftermarket a-arms with adjustable camber that solved it. Whether it truly fixed the problem or just covered it up is debatable, but it didn't really matter to me.

I'd say if you can't find anything that's worn out or visibly bent, it's probably an irregularity in the frame. The front sections of the older yamaha frames never seemed to be designed very well to resist twisting and distortion.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: recon99
My warrior was the same way, I always blamed it on a tweaked frame but I never really confirmed it. Once I got aftermarket a-arms with adjustable camber that solved it. Whether it truly fixed the problem or just covered it up is debatable, but it didn't really matter to me.
</end quote></div>
Thats funny, as mine is like that as well, but nothing is worn out or bent, and the frame really doesn't show any signs of being tweaked in the slightest. As far as I know (and can tell) it has never been rolled, or if it has it wasn't a bad roll.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

I had everything disassembled and did not notice anything unusual. you can see one tire leans more than the other but its not bad. I didn't know if this was a common problem. I will post pictures in a few days. Thanks. Oh, By the way, As I was stripping the paint from the frame, One side had a different color underneath its regualr coat. So I am assuming the side has been replaced and the color was a red. By the engine code, The frame may be a 1996.