Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shaveing Head Question and more

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaveing Head Question and more

I was wondering if anyone shaved the head by themselfs w/o having a mechanic do it? If so, how much do you shave it? And I was thinking about getting an HMF exhaust..Would you get the same power difference if you take the baffle out of the stock exhaust?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I have always been told you don't shave the head on these 4 stroke engines with overhead cams because it throws the timing or timing chain off. On a 2 stroke you would usually go .030".

Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

you can't shave the head on a 4 stroke with out causing major problems, and to do it by yourself is common sence not to, if you want a fast atv buy a sport one, shave heads on 2-strokes yes very good mod and only go like .030 depending on elevation and it always needs to be machine done

Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, my dad just told me he can't shave it..I thought he could, I didn't know you had to have a machine do it. And, Ive seen someone in the forums that has there wolvy's head shaved. But..what about the exhuast question?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The HMF will provide more power than the stock exhaust. Add the filter and jet kit to gain it's full potential.

If someone on here says they had their Wolvy head shaved, either they don't know what they are talking about or they screwed up when they got it done. Re-decked possibly, but not shaved.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

I'm not sure if shaving and re-decking are the same thing but when I had my cam and valve springs installed the guy shaved the head and did a port and polish. He says the "shave" is done on a milling machine and is done to raise the compression slightly. It sure runs great.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Can you shave the head on your Wolverine? Sure. Can yo do it without a machine shop? Sure again. A flat piece of glass, glue and a piece of wet/dry sandpaper will work just fine.

BUT, should you? Well, probably not. It can do things like advance your cam timing. If you want more top end power then this is a good thing. If not, then this is a bad thing. Another thing is valve and sparkplug clearance.

If you don't have the tools or knowledge to measure the clearances then it is best to leave it alone or have someone that knows how to do it, do it.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing to look at with shaving the head on a fourstroke is yes it does bump the compression and will increase power, true it will change the total length of chain needed(but that is why they have timing chain tensioners on them) It would take a major change in the length needed to actually require a different timing chain, so no it would not change the timing at all.

Yes it can be done, you have heads redecked or shaved( or atleast checked) on cars and atvs and motorcycles anytime there is a blown headgasket(general practice to make sure it doesnt blow again.)

It does give you a little more power. more so on a 2smoke than a 4 stroke.

The exhaust will get more power with either the HMF or the GYTR one installed due to the flow differences of stock to aftermarket. But you will have a louder exhaust.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The thing to look at with shaving the head on a fourstroke is yes it does bump the compression and will increase power, true it will change the total length of chain needed(but that is why they have timing chain tensioners on them) It would take a major change in the length needed to actually require a different timing chain, so no it would not change the timing at all. </end quote></div>
Your mistaken.
It will change the cam timing. Just because the tensioners take the slack out of the chain does not mean it does not change the cam timing. It does. The tensioners just takes the slack out, the measurement is still shorter so it throws the cam timing off.

Here is a site that talks about it a bit. There are many others out there.
Cam timing">http://www.turbomagazine.com/t...ech_cams/index.html[/S</a>

Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right it will change it but not enough to necessitate any change at all with the chain.

cam timing will always be set at the same spot (as long as you set it up right)

Quick Reply: Shaveing Head Question and more