Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have ever owned an HMF exhaust please read this

Is the Hmf Sport-series slip-on exhaust 96 decibals or under so i can ride
it on trails. If so is it nice

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have one on my wolverine, and it is loud ( I think it is supposed to be around 104db) but it sounds awesome and the performance boost is nice. They do make a quiet core for their pipes, and I think it is supposed to drop it down to around 96db.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I had an HMF exhaust on a DS 650. Peak decibals on a sound test was 136 db. All HMF exhaust I have heard are oh my god loud.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I had one on my warrior and it was loud. All the sport series I have heard are loud.

May look into there quiet racing series pipes if you need it to be quiet. Not sure if they make them for the warrior but worth a look.

As far as quality the HMF's are solid pipes.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Range Rover

I have a HMF sport series on my raptor Def. louder than 96db

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

the 96 db limit is not the maximum db the exhaust can make. Is is done at roughly half RPM at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust pipe 20" away at the same level as the exhaust outlet. So ya that DS650 could have made 136 max but still pass the 96 db test. There is a spec and I will look for it later and post up a link to it.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bberck

As far as quality the HMF's are solid pipes.</end quote></div>

This makes me feel good... I just ordered mine today!!!

I formerly resign as an advocate for the power tip... I just don't like the look of a rusy orange pipe with a shiney polished end. It looks Sh*ty.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I borrowed a dB meter and played around with it with our bikes. The biggest thing that I noticed was that the dB level significantly drops at constant throttle an only spikes really high on quick acceleration. I tested two HMF (one on a grizzly and one on a V-Force) and a custom pipe (based on the GYTR that I shattered and yamaha wouldn't replace) on my 686. All three ranged right around 94-96 at half throttle with the raptor peaking highest at 107 db with a quick throttle blast. I have heard of some pipes breaking the 110 dB mark (mostly straight drag pipes) but I don't think you'll find much over that. Some people talk about pipes in the 135 mark but this seems unlikely. The dB scale is logarithmic and increases exponentially. Decibel levels in the area of 130-135 cause a noticeable vibration of the body organs, visible percussion of airborn particles, and a cool breeze from air expansion.

~HoundDog

Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

The dB meter I used on my DS 650 was a brand new sound meter from Radio Shack. It was held about 20" behind the exhaust, and to the side at about a 45 degree angle. 136 dB was the peak reading you would get from a really good Brraaappp on the throttle, not the sustained reading you got from half throttle. We also had a YFZ 450 with an HMF exhaust on it, and peak dB recording for that ATV was 124 dB. Neither of those test were "official sound test" like they do at some BLM and National Forest Service riding areas. They were just done to see what the real peak dB readings actually were.

Sound levels above 115 dB cause hearing loss by the way. And yes, you could feel the ground shake when you were standing next to that DS 650 when the throttle was hammered wide open.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HoundDog06

Decibel levels in the area of 130-135 cause a noticeable vibration of the body organs, visible percussion of airborn particles, and a cool breeze from air expansion.

~HoundDog</end quote></div>

with or without my helmet on my drag pipe makes my brain vibrate, it is brutally loud!!!

Quick Reply: If you have ever owned an HMF exhaust please read this