Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cheap way to widen your frontend

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap way to widen your frontend

http://www.diamondjcustoms.com...warrior-350-90-04.htm

worth it, or just a waste, can find the same ones on ebay cheaper from same source

Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

well i guess it's a shitty idea, since i get no opinions, or i may have posted this once before and don't remember.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't ,think about getting new rims with a greater off-set ,

Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

It looks like it'd work. A little pricey for what really is in the kit. It won't give you any more travel over stock but it will make your quad more stable. I do feel it is better that wheel spacers. Never have liked them. They just mess with the geometry of the steering. For the price and advantage I'd have to look into longer a-frames.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: floppa76

It looks like it'd work. A little pricey for what really is in the kit. It won't give you any more travel over stock but it will make your quad more stable. I do feel it is better that wheel spacers. Never have liked them. They just mess with the geometry of the steering. For the price and advantage I'd have to look into longer a-frames.</end quote></div>

I think I can get it on Ebay for under $150 with the setup for diffrent shocks. I've figured it up and could build it for $50, including my labor, but there is the issue of fitment. This company looks to sell alot of these, I've actually seen them go for more than $220 on ebay, go figure......

I know i wouldn't get any more travel or anything, but I could gain a better ride if I went with some diffrent shocks.... Thats were I'm a little skeptical on Building them myself... And I should be able to get a set of used yfz 450 hocks for pretty cheap..... Dunno just thinking about it.

<span class="FTHighlightFont">What possible damage could it do???</span ft>

Oh yeah I have to buy new front brake lines anyways, but am waiting to see if I do this before i go get briaded lines then in a month decide i want it wider and then the lines are to short.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deanz400

I wouldn't ,think about getting new rims with a greater off-set ,</end quote></div>

Then My brake rotors are exposed..... So potentially more damage....

Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah if you can find one cheeper it'd be something to look at for sure.It's got me thinking of doing it to the shee. As far as damage if ts build correctly i don't see what it could hurt.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pmcc37

<span class="FTHighlightFont">What possible damage could it do???</span ft></end quote></div>

Well,.... since most of us "Sport quad" owners pretty much put our machines to the test, I'll suggest that any substantial widening of your front end, will put added stress on the A-Arm mountings. This will cause accellerated wear on the bushings, arms, mounts and maybe much more. It could actually increase the likelihood of frame damage/cracking. But you already knew that.... right?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Oh yeah I have to buy new front brake lines anyways, but am waiting to see if I do this before i go get briaded lines then in a month decide i want it wider and then the lines are to short.</end quote></div>
I just read the "kit" page and it says that stock brake lines would work with either set-up, by just disconnecting the centering mount allowing more movement of the lines. At least you can use the ones you have to find out if you like the set-up...and before purchasing the new lines.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I thought about the bushings ect. But never thought about cracking the frame, since it seems to brace all the way across on both the upper n lower A-Arms. But it could happen. Yeah I read that about the brake lines, I'd toabably only go with the 4.5 anyway..... Don't see a need for the 6", definately think to much added stress if went that way. Dunno will see what i can get it for, and if its cheap enough I'll find out, if not, oh well.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Terrellster

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pmcc37

<span class="FTHighlightFont">What possible damage could it do???</span ft></end quote></div>

Well,.... since most of us "Sport quad" owners pretty much put our machines to the test, I'll suggest that any substantial widening of your front end, will put added stress on the A-Arm mountings. This will cause accellerated wear on the bushings, arms, mounts and maybe much more. It could actually increase the likelihood of frame damage/cracking. But you already knew that.... right?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Oh yeah I have to buy new front brake lines anyways, but am waiting to see if I do this before i go get briaded lines then in a month decide i want it wider and then the lines are to short.</end quote></div>

I just read the "kit" page and it says that stock brake lines would work with either set-up, by just disconnecting the centering mount allowing more movement of the lines. At least you can use the ones you have to find out if you like the set-up...and before purchasing the new lines.</end quote></div>

Well stated analysis... but wrong. The kit distributes the suspension load across both sides of the frame, actually REDUCING stress on the individual a-arm mounting points. Extended a-arms, however, DO increase the stresses on these mounting points.

I have two DJ kits, one on one of my 400ex's the other on my Raptor. I also have a 400ex with extended a-arms, so I am very familiar with the characteristics of both. A-arms are better overall, but the kits make a hell of a difference for a whole lot less money. I am very happy with the handling improvements due to my kits. They are well designed and very strong. Althought the a-arms do exhibit slightly better handling, I really have little to complain about with the kits. Geometries are changed so little from stock or extended arms that I dare you to notice a difference. All in all, the kit is a great improvement over stock especially considering the low cost.

The only real issue is the kit's addition of 10lbs or so to the front suspension... I haven't noticed much impact from it myself, and i am a wheelie nut. Of course, just adding a full tank of gas adds 15lbs or so, but not so far forward (but a LOT higher!).

If you have patience, you can camp on the daily eBay auctions (even tho they state a particular bike, they will deliver any kit if you win) and get a kit for around $100 or less. I bought my first for $89 my second for $102.

Bottom line, if you want the better handling of a wider front track but can't afford extended arms, the DJ kit is an affordable way to get you most (but not all) of the way there.

Good Luck with your choice!

Quick Reply: Cheap way to widen your frontend