Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Painting

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Painting

we used a epoxy just right around the fill hole, the color wasn't a exact match but a little dust n you didn't even notice it. if you made a collar that would soak up any spills that would proabably work.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

yeah i'm not sure how i'll do it exactly. it was just an idea. try to make it look a little better rather than just going out and buying the stock fenders.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

anyone else have an opinion

Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

I had one painted at a body shop and it did well, but the paint is a bit brittle and chips pretty easily if fenders bend. It was painted with regulr body paint and I don't think they put any flex additives in the paint. They should have. I got a deal on the paint work so I don't complain much.

I'm gonna redo later with flex additive and see if I can get good results. Looks leaps and bounds better than original too. My photo album shows the Badger.... Sonic Blue Ford paint with White Chocolate "hood". It's the one with the kid on it on my page.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

well i read somewhere that you can use the paint that has the flex additive already in it. the kind that is made for lawn furniture and stuff like that. krylon or something i'm not sure if it's something you can just go pick up at walmart or what

Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

home depot, thats what the above blaster was painted with.... it actually works really well.... I was skeptical, since i work in the painting industry and anything in a spray can is crap, but it actually does a good job.. There is another company that makes paint for plastic, plus your local paint shop can mix up some auto finishes for whatever color you want and put it in a spray can, a little pricey, but then you have the opurtionity to have a bike with a color no one else has

even pink....

Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

I used some Valspar Molecular bonding plastic enamel on the red white and blue one seen in my photos. It has done well. As others say though, the gas stains it pretty bad, and acts like paint remover if left too long. Take a look at my photos

< click the camera icon under my little bug avatar for pictures

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

yeah i looked at your thread trrell that you posted awhile back. i just want to find the correct procedures. maybe i'll get started on it in a few weekends. i guess we'll have to see how it goes.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

they will mix that valspar in spray cans.... when you start wet sand it lightly, then wash it down with mineral spirts before you spray it. n wet sand before you recoat. and if you clearcoat you should be able to get away with out sanding..

Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Painting

yeah thats probably what i would do. any advice on how to get the old enamel off the plastic or just rough it up a little with a fine grit sand paper?

Quick Reply: ATV Painting