Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Yamaha Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Yamaha Banshee

I am wondering how in the world to set the timing on my atv. i am an idiot when it comes to these types of things. I have been told it is the timing. It backfires and smokes a lot when it is running. Any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Welcome to the forums.

Well, on a 2-stroke I'd say that's pretty unlikely. It will smoke some depending on what kind of oil your running in it. As for backfiring I'd clean the carbs real good. Can you give more details? When did the prob start? DId it sit long? Any mods?

Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well lets start from the beginning. It was running from what i have been told and it just quit and wouldn't start back. That was last summer around june i believe. I got it about a month ago. We weren't getting any fire to the spark plugs. I changed the ignition coil and still didn't have any fire. I then changed the CDI box yesterday. We got fire to the plugs. We were pulling it with a truck and it would start running but like i said spurtting and such. We did remove the carbs and thoroughly clean them and they seem to be operating fine. My lieutenant seems to think that the timing needs to be adjusted. I'm not sure thats why i posted the bulletin. Any help you can provide is very helpful. Also, the top end of the motor seems to be fine. We aren't mechanics by no stretch of the imagination but he seems to know way more than i do....hope this helps

Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Well, timing on the 2-stroke is a little different. I personally don't know alot about it. They make tors keys I believe what they call them that advance the timing to gain a few horse. I believe they work by moving the plate behind the stator.
If I'm right here I don't think you should have to adjust the timing and I don't think there is a way to adjust it. Keep in mind I'm not positive.

Someone else needs to chime in here. I know there are a lot of die hard 2-stroke fans here.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

wrong. key yes that is one way, also it has nothing to do with the tors (throttle over ride system) and nothing to do with it backfiring, you can do the timing the better way and get an adjustable timing plate, +4 is a good number, advancing the timing bumps compression and advances the spark, it could be jetted way to rich or leaking coolant if it backfires, i would say lean but if its smokey then its not lean, must be a coolant leak or rich jetting, whats your mods and jets?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Have you done a copression check on it?????????? If thats low it will make it hard to start,stock motor in good shape should be 120&130 PSI,I put some after-market filters on mine, not K&N and ride in the desert, real dusty, it pulled dirt threw them and got my pistons,they look good threw the port opening,s but were scratched up bad on the lower skirt of the pistons, couldnt see it till I pulled it apart.Backfiring is usely lean mixture.Or a vacumm leak,at least thats what I,ve found with mine.Also if you had the carb bowls off you can cross them up and the choke wont work,Let me know what all you have done to it. The timing is set so you cant really do much with it,as said unless you put a advancing plate on it.The coil can give problems and also the CDI unit.Smoking can be to rich on the Pre-Mix oil.And I have found that the plain 2 stokeoil, not syn, smokes more than the Syn kind.Mine smokes worse till it gets hot,then the oil bruns cleaner.Hope This Helps.I mix mine to a 32 to 1 mixture.Eddie.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Your carbs are your problem... not sure where, but will put a lil money on it..

What kinda bike, I'm assuming Banshee since you say carbs and plugs????

Did you drian your tank? clean it out, If its been sitting for almost a year any gas that was in there is shot, with a bunch of setiment sitting at the bottom of the tank.

editted to note i looked at the topic title and it is a banshee, damn I'm stupid sometimes...

Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 PM

Hmmm...

Low compression is definately a possibility. This would cause hard strating & smoking.

The TORS is also known to cause similar problems.

Unless the woodruff key was some how damaged I would say your problem isn't timing. Although I have had a woodruff key get sheared off and the motor would run but miss-fire when rev'd.

Coils & CDI's are pretty rare failures on the banshee.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

WHAT ABOUT THE CRANK CASE GASKET? I TALKED TO THE YAMAHA PARTS GUY YESTERDAY AND HE SAID IT COULD BE THAT. I APPRECIATE ALL THE ADVICE AND WE ARE GOING TO CHECK ALL OF THOSE THINGS. AS FAR AS THE CARBS AND GAS TANK WE HAVE CLEANED THOSE ALREADY. HAVE PUT A NEW IGNITION COIL ON IT AND A NEW CDI BOX. ANOTHER THING I WAS TOLD IS IT COULD BE THE EXHAUST LEAKING LETTING AIR INTO THE MOTOR WHICH COULD CAUSE THE PROBLEM TOO. LIKE I SAID THANKS FOR THE HELP AND KEEP SENDING ME GOOD IDEAS.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

ALSO IT APPEARS TO BE LEAKING FUEL FROM SOMEWHERE TOO. ANY SUGGESTIONS?