Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why not Custom Axis shocks for the Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that about everyone who has upgraded their shocks have went with TCS shocks. Dirt Wheels said that Custom Axis shocks were used for the Baja raptor and that they did really well. So my question is, why is no one using the Axis shocks? Are they junk or not as good as the TCS?

From my understanding, both of them have adjustable ride height, which would be a plus when trying to lower the Raptor just a bit.

Your thoughts?

Old 01-19-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Custom AXIS are the best shocks you can get for any ATV. They are made from better materials, have bigger bodies, larger shafts, are the most adjustable of any shock, great customer support and service, and come with a technical manual that discribes anything you want too know about shocks. Custom AXIS pic
The only problem is that they cost twice as much as TCS shocks. I spent over $2000 dollars on AXIS for my 330EX. Well worth the money, and the only suspension that I will ever buy in the future.
AXIS on 330 #1
AXIS on 330 #2

Old 01-19-2001, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

You can get the Custom Axis with or without the rebound adjustment. From my understanding, the TCS does not have the rebound adjustment. This being the case, your belief is that either model fo the Custom Axis would be better than the TCS?

From what I understand, everything else on the custom axis is adjustable and they look a heck of a lot better (I know, I know..it ain't looks), but also much sturdier.

Old 01-19-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

As soon as I can get the green backs
I'm getting the axis
you get what you pay for

Old 01-19-2001, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

You can get Custom AXIS with or without rebound adjustments in the front or the rear.

TCS shocks are great. I have never heard anyone complain about the ride quality or service from TCS. I personaly choose too go with Custom AXIS for 2 reasons. Quality - These shocks are made from the best materials out there, and are just massive in size when compared too the "other" brands of shocks. Adjustability - I race both Motocross and Cross Country with the same machine(same shocks) and I need them too preform. Most shocks are setup for one type of riding/racing. They excel in that format, but lack in all other areas of use. Not with Custom AXIS. I race in the "A class" of my local District HareScramble/Cross Country series and the shocks preform great. They soak up every hit, off-chamber and rut in front of me. Then the very next weekend, I race MX in the same District and the shocks take the motocross beating. They work great in the whoops, landing big jumps and in the corners. It's simple really. My machine is changed from a XC machine, too a MX machine with a change of tires, sprocket change, and a twist on the shock adjustability settings.
I highly recommend Custom AXIS shocks too anyone that wants a top quaility suspension product. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Old 01-19-2001, 03:07 PM
Range Rover

Custom Axis does not make zero-preload shocks. You adjust the ride height by setting the pre-load.

They are made from the best components. A local ATV shop here is a dealer for them. I was told they are excellent shocks, but their valving was not as good as the TCS.

If I was a pro level rider I would have looked a little harder at them because they seem to be heavier duty.

From memory, they began around a thousand.

Old 01-19-2001, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Custom AXIS are not ZPS shocks. You adjust the ride height in front by raising and lowering the wire ring to position the top aluminum preload ring. The rear shock has a pair of slotted rings on the top of the spring that are jammed together to hold position on the body. You need to use a large flat blade screw driver and hammer to break the top backup ring loose and tighten it when you've adjusted the preload ring. If the desired ride height is not achieved by adjusting the preload rings you might need to make spring changes.

As far as valving is concerned. Both TCS and AXIS use shim stack valving(the same as modern day dirtbikes). Other shock manufactures(WORKS, PEP, Ohlins, etc) use piston valve, the same as your "stock" setup. From my experiance, TCS shocks are not as versitle as Custom AXIS.(just my opinion)

Old 01-19-2001, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Bash,

Custom Axis are probably the best you can get right now. They are just a much bigger shock all together. On the other hand, TCS are also wonderful shocks. From the tests in the magazines, and everything I've heard on here, they are great. They are suppose to be especially good for MX. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one. Anything is better than stock. Good luck.

Also, did you build the Western KY Speedway/SX website? (http://www.wkracing.com) Just curious.

Old 01-19-2001, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

wcy2k400ex,

Yup, I I built the wkracing website, and they keep it updated on the opening page. My favorite website I've built to date is www.metalcraft-ar15.com. Of course it took much longer and lots more money!

wcy2k400ex, where's some really good places to ride around here other than on a track?

Old 01-19-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well I talked to Todd at TCS and he didn't have anything bad to say about Axis either (a good sign of a guy confident in his product), but he did say that for woods riding, I needed the tripple rate shock. Price for that is $825, so I'm inching closer to the Axis as we speak.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that the Axis would have better resale value than the TCS. Penske owns them, so I couldn't imagine them being anything other than first class.

Quick Reply: Why not Custom Axis shocks for the Raptor?