Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Yamaha Wolverine vs Big Bore ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Yamaha Wolverine vs Big Bore ATV's

Hello,

I'm going to be in the market soon for an ATV, and originally had my heart set on the New Brute Force 750, BUT, I'm also thinking about getting something a little more sportier, smaller and not sacrafice too much power.

Can someone tell me how the new Wolverine stacks up to the big bores? I'm not to concerned about top speed, but I like to have the low and midrange power. Will this machine plant your butt in the seat with a stab of the thumb throttle? How does it handle?

Any information you can provide me with would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

in the mud the brute force is going to do better, but otherwise i'd go with the woly, it handles better, faster on takeoff and trials were the top speed does no good.
dis advantage it dosen't have any racks, and there expensive to buy from gytr....

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wolverine has NO low range or diff lock. It does have the Grizzly 450 engine-421cc. They both weigh close to the same. For my money, I'll take the Grizzly 450 for the low range, diff lock, and racks. You can't even carry a raincoat on the Wolverine.

If you are looking for a sporty mid sized ride for trails, check out the Polaris 400 HO. No low range, but locking front diff and their 455cc engine stuffed into a Hawkeye chassis.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

A wolverine 450 wont hang with a BF 750 in any type of drag race, and you will be disappointed in its power if you have driven a BF. But it still is a great quad, no power monster...but it is a very fun quad to ride.

It handles much better than the utility quads because of the suspension setup and tires, you will walk away from most utes on tight trails. It wont keep up with the big bore utes or sport quads on the open trails, but you said you weren't too concerned about the top speed (which is approx 52 stock).

Instead of listening to people who don't have one, and are just bench racing (which happens all the time on this website)...I will tell you my experiences with drag racing my wolverine.

Against my dads 500 foreman, I walk away from him from start to finish (and that was when mine was 100% stock).

Against my buddys grizzly 700, I would beat him until about 25mph, then he would pull on me and keep pulling because of the higher top end. Now that I have a few things done, I get the jump on him until about 35, then he pulls about 1 or 2 length and pulls slightly away from me on the top end because I'm done at 59, and he hits 62.

Against my old 440ex, I would get the jump until about 25 and then it would blow by me.

As you can see, the bottom end and midrange on the wolverine is awesome, better than most quads in its CC range. Once you get past the 40mph mark, it takes a while to top out. If you ride fairly technical trails, this is the perfect setup...awesome low end power, descent mid range, good handling, and 4x4 for when it gets tough. I have never had one person complain after I let them drive my wolverine, they always come back with a huge grin. The people that have ridden one or actually own one love them, most would like a little more power and speed...but who wouldn't.

If the wolverine wont cut it in the power department, and you still want a sporty 4x4...look at the can am renegade 500, or 800. The 500 is a bit lighter, and still has a ton of power. The 800 is a big bike, and can be a bit much for a lot of riders....but it will get you adrenaline pumping as soon as you sit on it...their price tag is their biggest downfall.
I picked my wolverine up when they first came out, if I would have known about the renegade 800...I would have waited, but no big deal...I'm still happy with the wolvy.

As far as the above comment about the grizzly 450 being better for the money, that depends on how you ride. The bigger tires and softer suspension + IRS wont give you near as sporty of a ride as the wolverine will. I looked at both, and drove both before I made my purchase...the wolverine fit my style of riding much better. I didn't need a locking front diff or low range, I have had my wolverine in some tough situations and I have never needed either except for once, but you would have to been in a tank to make it through the hole I got stuck in.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Well here is my 2 cents.... Miwolvy has a good insight of the atv ! it is a fun atv to ride... for that i would not get rid of mine....the sporty side is great......power on a big bore will pretty much kill a wolvy.......the wolvy pulls pretty hard from the start ! as for the front diff lock and low range...i have a detroit gearless locker in mine and that makes a huge difference in 4x4 and i have not sacroficed any of the 2 wheel drive fun.... and as far as low range... well it has so much bottom end power i do not see why you would need it...i ride with brutes and 700 grizz all day and in the trails i am right there with them, they are all surprised with how well it will keep up and go places they have and can not get through ! my next atv will be a 700 griz ....,but my wolvy will allways be in the family ! way to much fun to get rid of.....

Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the wolvy, havent gotten to try it against any of the big bore utilitys. But with the racks added to mine from cmp I can carry anything that I need to. With the BBk installed in mine it has enough power to keep me happy. Now all I need is my clutch machined by hauck to up the top speed a little.

I bought mine because it was sporty, 4x4 on demand and I still had a straight rear axle so I could slide it around. Then I just made it the rest of the way that I wanted it, more power, easier wheelies, and racks.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

Like everyone says the wolverine isn't a ***** out machine but it has a good amount of low end to keep you happy in the woods. IT is hands down a blast to ride in the woods. you may not go mach 2 but you'll have that I think I can attiude. Me... I love it and if I could pick another machine I would pick the wolverine over the bigger can-am's any day for the price and what you get. But I wish it had a manual transmission like the older ones but then again the CVT does a great job of keeping you happy all in all you will not be disapointed

Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

ctateusa1: have you ever put that rear rack on. I still would like to see a pic of one. Im still on the fence about getting a rear rack. I woud love to see some pics of you have it on.

I have an 07 wolvy. I love it. I have to agree if you want lots of raw power go with a big bore. But if you ride in the woods alot the big bike will not be able to keep up with you. They just dont handle like the wolvy. I would like to see them come out with a wolvy with a 600 or 650 though. Not sure why but you can never have enough horse power.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HeftyLefty

The Wolverine has NO low range or diff lock. It does have the Grizzly 450 engine-421cc. They both weigh close to the same. For my money, I'll take the Grizzly 450 for the low range, diff lock, and racks. You can't even carry a raincoat on the Wolverine.

If you are looking for a sporty mid sized ride for trails, check out the Polaris 400 HO. No low range, but locking front diff and their 455cc engine stuffed into a Hawkeye chassis.</end quote></div>

I hate to say this but I have two friends that had Sportsman 400's and traded them for 450 Gizzlys. They just didn't have the same rough terrain capabilities.

This of course may be different if they changed stuff on them since '06

Old 04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>This of course may be different if they changed stuff on them since '06 </end quote></div>

The Sportsman 400 were full size Utilities with the 425cc motor. The new 400 H.O Sportsmans have the 455cc motor in a 100lb lighter frame.

Its about what type of riding you do. A Wolverine is fast enough for those open gravel roads which you do not run into alot (at least i don,t) but on the trails were speed is of no use its a much more maneuverable ATV that a big Utility.

On the open road I can go 55+ mph but on the trails Im, lucky if I can leave a 250 Yamaha Big Bear behind anywhere.

Quick Reply: 2008 Yamaha Wolverine vs Big Bore ATV's