Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Car solenoid on my 660 Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car solenoid on my 660 Raptor?

Im having a problem with starting my raptor. I thought i burnt up a solenoid due to high compression starting (bad valve adjustment) I bought a used one in good condition and it worked about 15 times and now just clicks. My battery is at full charge. I have taken every cable off, sanded them, and torqued them back down pretty f'in hard. I know the connections are not the problem. (at the battery, solenoid and starter anyway. Oh yea. grounds good too) I get a great click from the solenoid but no juice to the starter. If i go 12 volts straight to the starter, or jump the lugs on the solenoid, it fires right over, but through the solenoid it seems like the power just isnt getting to the starter. My question is, what are the 3 wires besides the cables going into the solenoid? Could one of the connections on the other side of these wires cause a shutoff situation at the solenoid? Also, could i retrofit a standard car solenoid to fit the raptor. They are way cheaper and i can get one anywhere. I bet that would be the last one i ever replace. Thanks for you help guys!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

i had the same problem with my 660 about 2 years ago. i did pretty much everything you did charged the battery, cleaned and tightened the connections and alot of bad words. i also had 12 volts going to my starter according to my volt meter. but that is only volts not amps. so i made a set of jumper cables from speaker wire and alligator clips and jumped it from my wifes warrior. and it started right up no clicking. so it turned out to be the battery was weak. it ws 4 years old. so it might be your battery is getting old and it has 12 volts but not enough amps to kick the starter over. hope that helps you

Old 04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Ya its usually the battery or connections. I use a tractor soleniod from Tractor Supply Co. for 11$ when I need one

Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery is brand new. Does anyone know what the wires going to the solenoid are from. Yellow/black, blue, and red?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Nope but if you have more than 2 wires (not counting the heavy gauge wires) then the Raptor may charge the battery back through one side of the soleniod. If so then you need the same kind of soleniod and one from a car wont work without some minor change in the wiring.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Usually the solenoid will not give you problems like you are having. A solenoid from a car will work, but that's going to have to be all rigged up and usually a car solenoid will not handle the mud and water abuse of trail riding.

I would guess that you have a problem with a bad wire somewhere. And the 1st place I would check is where the wire is crimped onto the connector. If the copper strands look black at the crimp, then you have found your problem.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been struggling with the same problem on my grizz for the second time now. On mine the Blue / black stripe comes from the start button the red it the 12v supply that energizes the coil and closes the contact allowing the connection between the battery and starter. I don't remember what the other one is from, I think it's from the gear possition sensor it must be in nutrual or park for mine to start.

I've been through everything you have, checked loose connections, charged the battery, even bought a new solenoid. The first time I had the prob it turned out I had the grounds from the solenoid and the battery swapped cuz I jsut did a complete frame swap. After correcting that I went ridding all day and it worked for about 20 starts. and now I'm back to click, click, click.

I'm gonna try to jump my battery to another like the other guy said tonight. I'll look up what that 3rd wire goes to when I get home.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea, let me know how it goes. After i replaced the solenoid, it was good for about 20 starts and thats it.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

Well it's definatelly not the battery, I hooked up a charger with a 50 amp start setting and I got the same click just louder. I'm gonna keep at it tonight.

I looked up the wiring in my book and the 3rd small wire comes from the CDI box, again this is a grizzly so I don't know how much difference their is the other two were just as I said, one from the start button and the other is 12vdc supply for the coil to close.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigRay660R

The battery is brand new. Does anyone know what the wires going to the solenoid are from. Yellow/black, blue, and red?</end quote></div>

The Raptor and Grizzly work the same way, the only difference is the wire colors to the solenoid.
Red = battery power to ignition switch
Blue/black = ground from start button
Yellow/black (Raptor) or Blue/white (Grizzly) = Neutral (or brake) permissive from CDI

The Blue/black wire is a ground when the start button is pressed - to test your start button wiring, jump a wire from the battery ground to the Blue/black wire on the solenoid - if it starts, you've got a problem in the start button system. Can even be dirty contacts in the start button itself.

The Yellow/black (or Blue/white) is the positive side of the solenoid relay - you should have 12 VDC at this terminal when the quad is in Neutral.

Quick Reply: Car solenoid on my 660 Raptor?