Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

persuade me to a grizzly....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default persuade me to a grizzly....

The only two things the brute has on the Grizz IMO is a lower price tag and more power.

To me the power thing is nothing...I don't care if you can get to 64mph 10 seconds faster then me.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

thank you for all the responses. I went to two dealers today and looked at both the brute and grizz-- the 08 brute is actually $400 more than the grizz-- they were not bending much on price for either so I didn't bring one home. I'm in western NC and wonder if there isn't a better yamaha dealer in the area that doesn't have so many bs fees.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

the brute in MA is more than a grand cheaper. I forgot how much pricing varies throughout the country.

A place up here sells the 08 camo brute for $6,599

Same place sells the 08 EPS camo Grizzly 700 for $7,749
Plus:
FREIGHT CHARGES (ALL BRANDS): $150

PREP CHARGES (ALL BRANDS): $65

What prices did you see for the Brute?

The place I'm showing is known as the cheapest around here. I just had them fax me a quote then brought it to my local dealer.

I ended up with an 08 Camo EPS 2 years YES warranty, Warn Winch, 5% MA sales tax all for 8400 OTD

My local dealer basically saved me $20 and the $100 or so in gas money to travel 1 1/2 hour each way.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

i was given freight charges from $400-$600 for either and documentation fees of ~$100, plus 7.25% tax -- all of this on top of the MSRP of 7699 for the grizz and $7999 for the brute (both 08's)-- i reminded one place that yamaha has a $500 rebate right now for cash buyers.

The best OTD I have received is $7600 for the grizz and $7700 for the brute after some low ball offers. I didn't think either price was low enough.

I would def add full skidplates and a set of 28" outlaws (will they fit?)?

Thanks again for the responses!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

28" laws will fit on the grizzly
check out grizzlycentral.com or brutecentral.com

Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Western NC? heck, you might want to take a drive to Tenn. You can probably get one for the mid to high 6000's OTD... atvtraderonline.com

Old 05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

i'll check that site out and see what i can find--

is the grizz limited to any mph or speed while in 4x4 with the diff lock on like suzuki does? how about in reverse like on a popo?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

There is a governer that will limit them to a certain RPM. How fast you can go at that RPM varies... but its usually around 65mph... There is a limit when in dif-lock as well... (I mud a lot and I never hit it, so I wouldn't worry about it... There is a override button just incase you need to override that limiter.) There is also a reverse rev-limiter, but that can be overridden permenantly, or toggled on with the installation of a switch. The instructions for that can be found HERE.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

The limiter for the locker limits speed to about 22 mph. The only times I have had that be a problem is this time of year (late spring) when I'm up in the mountains trying to get through snow drifts that have been there all winter. You need the locker engaged, but need to hit the snow drift at wide open throttle at at least 30 mph+ so you can stay on top of the snow for as long as you can. After once or twice hitting the limiter you figure out to push the "rev limiter" button on the left side handlebar, and that solves the problem.

The reverse rev limiter has never been a problem for me.

My Grizzly 700 would top out at 64 mph on a loose gravel road, at 6000 ft elevation, when it was stock. Fix Powersports sells an aftermarket sheave that they have had cast for the Grizzly 700, and on my Grizzly it increased top speed to 69 mph. And even at 69 mph my Grizzly is not hitting a rev limiter. The engine RPM is no higher at 69 mph than it previously was at 64 mph. The aftermarket sheave has a differnet ramp angle for the roller weights, and also allows the belt to drop lower on the primary pulley, which means it rides higher on the secondary pulley, and top speed is increased that way, ... not by engine RPM.

DV

Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

The aftermarket sheave has a differnet ramp angle for the roller weights, and also allows the belt to drop lower on the primary pulley, which means it rides higher on the secondary pulley, and top speed is increased that way, ... not by engine RPM.

DV</end quote></div>

Well of course you can increase the speed if you adjust the "gearing" DV...

But yes, the top speed is also based on the engine RPMs... a higher Rev limiter will allow you to go faster. It's a feature built into Dynatek's new Ignition System. (whenever they finally come out with it...)

btw, you're 3tv over at GC aren't ya?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: persuade me to a grizzly....