Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly 700 clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly 700 clutch kit

Since my last post I have tested two more combinations of clutch weights with the stock Grizzly 700 sheave. One combination was six Grizzly 660 weights and two Grizzly 700 weights, and drag race times were a few tenths faster than with all Grizzly 700 weights at all distances tested. The final combination was with eight Grizzly 660 weights, and this combination has yielded the fastest acceleration of all. This set up feels very responsive out on the trail as well. It is as close to perfect for spirited trail riding that I have found. It revs faster, pulls harder, and backshifts faster and stronger (which improves engine braking). I do not have accurate times for this last set up yet though. The times I have are actually equal to the times for the combo of six 660 weights and two 700 weights. But it was very lightly raining when I tried to get timed runs with this final set up, and even with only slightly damp pavement it was enough to let the Grizzly spin the tires off the line. I tried several runs, but could not get the rear tires to hook up. The Grizzly 700 pulls much harder off the line with a full set of Grizzly 660 weights in the clutch. With good traction I'm sure I can get the fastest times yet, but I may have to work to keep the front end down, which I have not had to do thus far.

Sometimes you just have to call a Turkey, a Turkey, and the Fix sheave for the Grizzly 700 is a Turkey. They advertise that your Grizzly will accelerate harder with their sheave, but in fact, it actually accelerates slower than with the stock sheave.

I still think sheave modifications are a good route to go with for improved performance though. I know that the Trinity sheave and roller weight change we did on our Rhino made a tremendous improvement. And I do not doubt that the sheave machine work that MIwolvy had done by Hauck Performance on his Wolverine made a big improvement. I'm also pretty certain that someone else is going to come out with a performance sheave for the Grizzly 700 and Grizzly 450 that really improves performance. We're not there yet with the Grizzly 700 though. It is much cheaper to install lighter weights in the stock sheave, and you still gain more performance that way.

DV

Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please excuse my ignorance but have a few questions on this topic.
Is the sheave and weights an addition to the clutch kit or it is the clutch kit?
I'm putting 27'' mud lite on my 660 whats the best kit?
Can I install it myself without and special tools?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

A "clutch kit" will contain various components according to price, manufacturer and application. Some models only require certain components. The 700 Griz for example, responds very well to just lighter weights, as the stock spring is good already. I used the older FPS (Fix) kit. It only included lighter weights and shims/collars. This is probably equivalent to just using the stock 660 weights. I have friends who have just ordered weights from a different/smaller model atv, like the Kodiak, and used them in their Grizzly.

-Basic kit- new (lighter) weights and maybe shims or collars
-Mid/Full kit- will add a new spring as well as the above. It may also include new springs for the wet side of the clutch and possibly a new belt.
A new sheave is usually a stand alone purchase, although recently I've seen kits with them included.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

DV, did you use the "Grizzly grease" during your tests, and if so, did you give it time to work into the weights? What's your opinion on all the grease Yamaha stuffs into it's sheave? Is that stuff even necessary, or is it just to keep the noise down?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I used Yamaha grease for the OEM sheave and Fix grease for the Fix grease. I personally think the Yamaha grease is better quality grease. It becomes more liquid at operating temperature. But to tell the truth, it only takes a hundred yards at full throttle to get the grease where it needs to be anyway. There is a lot of centrifugal force when that clutch spools up. It might take longer if you were doing the install when it was zero degrees outside, but not this time of year.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mudwolf

My buddy put the fix sheave in and he thinks it is too much low end. I tried it and I love it. Make the thing a real wheelie monstor!</end quote></div>

Is it THAT noticable of a differnence where you just stab the throttle and the front end will go to the sky? That's EXACLTLY what I'm looking for! I'm leaning more towards the Grizzly, because of what it has to offer (EPS and EFI) and is a little smaller than the Brute Force.

The performance is what I was unsure about, but it sounds like the Grizzly is the way to go.

Pete

Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 AM
BTI
Trailblazer

So a full set off 660 wts will do as good or better than most clutch kits?
That would be great, wts are cheap compared to clutch kit.

BTI

Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

I put the dalton clutch kit in mine, which is just the weights... It made my bike act like it's got stockers on it even though it really has 27's... I wouldn't go with just 660 weights, I don't think you'll get much of an improvement. Now several people have used the 450 clutch weights and have said they work really well. There's a nice walk-thru on how to do it yourself over at grizzly central. Here

If you want the weights and the springs, go with the EPI kit...

DV, have you tried the sheave with 450 weights yet?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default grizzly 700 clutch kit"></title><script src=

I found another installation turtorial here. They also have a write up on the Fix sheave.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great link wudwolf. it looks like from reading some of their threads about teh Fix sheave that even they are recommending people to play with weights before dishing out the cash on the Fix. In case you didn't see it, they even have a thread with a hellacious weight combination chart that they created. Here's a link to help other that are thinking about chaning weights around.

Quick Reply: grizzly 700 clutch kit