Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Yamaha Blaster Problems - Electrical... i think

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Yamaha Blaster Problems - Electrical... i think

Hey everyone, I bought a 2001 yamaha blaster off someone on craigslist a year or two ago and it ran on and off for a while... but recently it hasn't been running at all. It wont start. I try kicking it a lot and it backfires every 25 kicks or so. Ive been trying to work on it for a while now and did so with no success. I'm not very good with ATV's but im trying to learn. I'll give you some pics of the electrical in the front and such. The guy i bought it from said he bypassed the oil injection and ignition, it looks pretty jury rigged IMO but maybe thats normal... kind of. Well it'd be really appreachiated if someone with some knowlege about this stuff could help me... thanks a lot, ill be checking back often to see if any of you have questions about it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...2/iMaciMan/front1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...2/iMaciMan/front3.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...MaciMan/carbleft2.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...iMaciMan/carbleft.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...MaciMan/carbright.jpg

thanks a lot

Old 04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Pull your spark plug out and put the spark plug wire back on the top of the plug.press the bottom of the plug against something metal on the motor or frame.Kick the motor over and see if you are getting a spark.If no spark then you need a new plug or it is something electrical.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

i tried it before, it sparks.... anything else i should try?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Take spark plug out.Put about 4 or 5 drops of gas down the spark plug hole.put plug back in and see if it will try to start.Put mixed gas if you can.Meaning gas and 2-stroke oil.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just tried that, with no success...

the connection to the engine from the carb is loose, is that a problem? and all there is is the air connection at the top and the gas to the carb on the left of the carb, is there any tube that should be going to the engine or does it just go in together to the engine with the air... if that makes sense

and if anyone could give me pictures of their yamaha blaster carbs both sides i think that would really help

thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Have you checked the compression?If you dont have a compression checker you might just pull the spark plug out and put your finger over the spark plug hole then kick the motor over and see if it blows your finger off the hole.This will not tell you if it has enough compression but if it doesnt blow your finger off the hole then you can bet it doesnt have enough compression.also the connection from the carb to the engine needs to be tight but I think it would have started anyway when you put the gas in the spark plug hole.something else to check is the reeds.take the air intake(the big hose between the carb and engine)off of the engine then pull the reeds out of the engine.If
I remember right there should be 4 little plastic flippers attached to the the reed cage.make sure they are all there and in good shape.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey, i just tried that, it does blow my finger off.

and it does have a spark

i tried the gas thing you told me and it didn't work, then my neighbor gave me some engine starter (eather) and i took off the air filter and sprayed some of that in there and tried kicking it and still... NOTHING. It's barely even caughing. I mean if i directly put gas in the motor and put the spark plug back in and everything it should even pop right?

Sorry, my atv vocab stills are awful, i hope you get what im saying...

thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

One more question, can anyone tell me what this tube does? i just noticed it...

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb.../help.jpg?t=1209335674

Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, Disconnect the control unit. It is the one with a single grey connector on it at the front of your quad. If the bike starts you have a bad carb switch or thumb throttle switch. By disconnecting the control unit you will bypass these two switches. Where are you located?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

The black tube that is on that fitting seems like it is comming from your oil tank. That fitting should have a tube that runs through the frame and is used to vent the engine. The cap on the carb that you have circled is part of the oil block off. It is correct if you engine has an oil block off installed or your oil pump is disconnected and you are using mixed fuel.

Quick Reply: 2001 Yamaha Blaster Problems - Electrical... i think