Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Battle of the wolvies (old against new)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle of the wolvies (old against new)

i was just being sarcastic. it's good to have an unbias opinion.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

First off, i would like to say that i HAVE ridden both of the wolvys and currently own the new one. I also used to always ride a kawasaki auto clutch 5 speed, so i know what it is like to have to shift.
I personally am in favor of the new wolvy. The old one has great all around reliable power, and its fun to be able to shift. But, with the new auto tranny you have power at ANY given moment you want, and also i have had problems before with the 5-speed where a hill or something will come up and i get bogged down becuase i need to be in a different gear and dont have the time to do so(it could be a user malfunction, but it happens), but with auto i NEVER have that problem.
Also, the selectable 4wd is very nice. With the old wolvys, all-time 4wd can get annoying especially if you are riding on some tight trails. My friend who has the old wolvy is currently making his a selectable 4wd...
Yes the new wolvy doesnt have standard racks, but so dont sport quads. And all of these sport guys ride for days, but still figure out ways to carry their gear. Also, yes the new wolvys dont have as many mods available, but give them some time
Lastly, as somebody already said its a personal opinion, but the new wolvys look SO much better...even though the old ones look nice without the racks, but you NEED those racks dont you?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>As far as the old woly's there kinda pinchy, there slower than a big bear, smaller tires, ect, ect ect. Same bike with smaller tires. </end quote></div>

Far from it, A 350 and 400 Big Bear will scream at there top end of 45mph while begging for a 6th gear thats not there. The 350 Wolverine hit over 50 mph easily and does not sound like it will self destruct while doing it.

The 350 Wolverine is one of the lightest 4x4 that was ever made. Its more like a Warrior with front wheel drive added, than related to a hard core Utility Big Bear.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

ok, well i'm just speaking from personal experience, but maybe the guy didn't know how to shift.

but it is geared a lil higher, but has 23's stock, compared to the 25's stock on a 99 350 big bear.... you do the math

Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not sure but don't smaller wheels help performance? No sport ATV has 25" wheels. A 500 Scrambler with 22" rears and 23" fronts wheels has the same engine as a 500 Sportsman with 25" or 26" wheels and we know which one is faster between them.

My 350 Big Bear would get smoked by 300 Lakotas,250 2wd Recons even a 200 Yamaha 3 wheeler, you name it and it passed me.lol

Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

have you looked at the diffrence in the wieght of the scrambler vs sprortsman, theres your diffrence, the wieght diffrence is not much between a big bear n a old woly.... the only real diffrence is the big bear has mud flaps... there both 5 speeds and theres hardly any diffrence from a warrior, wolvirine, and big bear as far as motors go, same motor, same displacement, same cam, same well you get the picture... So idk plus the older, i mean 97(ithink) and older had a high low n diffrent front end set up, so there would be the reason yours is slower, but mine is all time 4x4 just like the old woly's, the old wolys do have softer suspension, but as far as speed thats not gonna change anything.... there both shaft driven ect, ect ect....

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm very interesting. and so it goes on.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

The 350 Wolverine is one of the lightest 4x4 that was ever made. Its more like a Warrior with front wheel drive added, than related to a hard core Utility Big Bear.</end quote></div>

I agree. My friend has a Warrior with Full yoshi system, K&N filter with hole in airbox, Extended axle, high compression piston.

My wolverine has mods listed in signature. on paved road from 0mph we run kneck and kneck til i top out 5th gear and he hits 6th. thats one thing I wish the wolvy had was a 6th gear...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

CTATV - A built 446 is a torque monster. With a manual clutch in a drag race you can launch in 3rd gear with 23" tires and do 3rd gear wheelies on demand. With the upgraded big bear tranny gears and 25" tires, you can hit 68mph on gps. Never done it but I know you can because I hit about 64mph on gps with 23's and it revs out fast.

It is alot of fun but I wanted something a little different after a while so I bought a Raptor, dad took over the Wolverine. I was jumping the Wolverine so high broke the neutral light and the battery lead when I landed. It jumped phenomenal for a 4x4 but it was too much on a MX track with my buddies.

Good luck on the 446.

If you are planning to ask me a question, come over to www.raptorforum.com because I have no idea when i will be back on here.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

ok then thanks for your .02 cents and run along and play with the 2 wheel drives..

Quick Reply: Battle of the wolvies (old against new)