Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak with Mudrunners

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put some Mudrunners on my Kodiak and wanted to post the test results. I went with the Mudrunners because they were supposed to ride smooth on hard pack. Since I like to do a little bit of all kinds of riding, I only went a little over the size of stock tires. 26x9x12 front, 26x12x12 back.

Here's what I found, the tires perform really well in the mud. On hard pack, it's real rough riding under 5mph. Once you get 30-40mph the front becomes unstable.

My suggestion. If you want a mud tire that you can still use for hard/fast trail riding. Forget it. I'm going to get myself some more stock rims so I can mount my stock tires for the occassions that I am NOT mudding. If I would of known that there would be so much of a difference on hard pack, I would of went with an even larger sized mud tire.

Anyway, moral of the story. To me looks like a mud tire (any size mud tire) is best used only in the mud.

Old 01-21-2001, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FKNA,
im sorry to hear you dislike your mudrunners.I had them on my 99 Sportsman and now on my 00 Xplorer.They seem to handle well even at the higher speeds for me.Your right about the mud,they really do there job well in it,
Bill

Old 01-21-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

Don't get me wrong. I like the tires. They performed rather well in the mud and I'm glad I got them. It's just there is no way I would top out the speedo with those tires and I just wanted to give my personal feedback as to the results. That way if anyone else is considering getting some mud tires, just something else they can consider before making the decision on what tire and what size to get.

Old 01-22-2001, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe its the size? I have 25" Mudrunners on my Kodiak and ive had it at full throttle for quite a distance several times and have not experienced any unstableness at all. Even the 4x4 steering feels more like 2x4 steering as compared to the stock dunlops. I think they are great.

Old 01-22-2001, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

I have not experienced any unstableness either at higher speeds, but i also have 25" Mudrunners on my kodiak. Great tire,i would buy them again.

Old 01-22-2001, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

KingKodiak,

It very well could be the size, the fact that I went an inch over stock. And I don't think I'm using the right words trying to describe what is happening at higher speeds. It's not unstable to the point that I feel unsafe. It's more like I feel I need to be a little more cautious than I had to with the stock tires.

All I can say is I like to do some real aggressive (hard pack) riding at times and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that kind of riding on the Mudrunners. As far as aggressive mud riding, I VERY satisfied with the Mudrunners.