Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hauling 00 Banshee 350cc Upright

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling 00 Banshee 350cc Upright

What are your toughts about hauling an 00 2-stroke 350cc Banshee in the upright position? We have a 06 4-stroke Honda TRX 450r and a 00 2-stroke 350cc Banshee. We are debating on which bike to haul upright. Which bike would be better to haul in the upright position for about 4 hours and why? Thank you for your help!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

make the 450 sit up its only got 1 carb and they arent as likely to flood and such, just make sure your gas is turned off

Old 05-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

when I haul mine upright, I do a few things. I never do it with a full tank of gas, it can spill out, even through the vent. check the caps on my battery so acid can't leak out, and lastly, I shut the gas off and run it until it starts to stutter or runs out and dies.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Range Rover

imo, the banshee, just turn gas off and start it, it will die once the bowls run out of fuel, and then nothing will leak, as long as the tank isnt full, if you do it with a 4-stroke, it can make it hard to start because the oil isnt sitting level

Old 05-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>imo, the banshee, just turn gas off and start it, it will die once the bowls run out of fuel, and then nothing will leak, as long as the tank isnt full, if you do it with a 4-stroke, it can make it hard to start because the oil isnt sitting level </end quote></div>
X2
You can operate a two stroke in any angle, even upsidedown because there is no oil the the crank case to deal with. The only thing you have to worry about is the gas. Just turn it off and transport.
If you try this with a 4 stroke you can hydraulic it if a bunch of oil gets past the rings and you don't pull the plug before truning it over. Even though the 4 stroke is a dry sump, I would still stand the Shee up any day before I would stand up a four stroke, wet or dry sump.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

You can operate a two stroke in any angle, even upsidedown because there is no oil the the crank case to deal with. </end quote></div>

Uh, that's not good.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding what your saying there but, all the 2-strokes I've delt with (Not alot) have oil in the case.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No two strokes have oil in the crank case. That's why they have oil injection or you have to mix.

Chainsaw, weedie eater, leaf blower or whatever, it does not care if you use them even upside down. There is no up or down for a two stroke engine. And that is a huge advantage on a chainsaw.

The only oil you have to deal with on a two stroke quad or bike is the gear case oil...........and that can't get in the combustion chamber and hydraulic the engine like it can in a four stroke.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

lmao crankcase and gear oil is same thing all bikes have it 2 strokes only diff is it has separate oil 4 the cylinder but it wont float around if gas is off, also the carbs are nt gona work rite if there upside down unless efi, oil isnt isnt gona hurt a 4 stroke if its tilted, its nt running so how is oil gona do anything if oil pump isnt running

Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>lmao crankcase and gear oil is same thing </end quote></div>
That may be, but it is incorrect. That would be like saying I need the crank case oil changed in my two stroke.
Some 4 stroke quad have a combined crank case and tranny case. Some don't. Two strokes have crank cases, but they don't have any oil in them other than fumes from the mix oil.

If you take your car to the shop and say you want the crank case drained and filled, they will do just that. They won't touch the tranny.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>also the carbs are nt gona work rite if there upside down unless efi</end quote></div>
Really? Ever use a chainsaw? Any two stroke engine that needs to be operated at weird attitudes are designed with diaphragm carbs and weighted pickups for the fuel. A quad does not need to be operated upside down (at least I hope they don't!! LOL) so they don't need these things.
If you want, you can read about it here

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>oil isnt isnt gona hurt a 4 stroke if its tilted, its nt running so how is oil gona do anything if oil pump isnt running </end quote></div>
Aaaa, hmmmm. Look; here's the deal. A 4 stroke has a sump in the bottom. In that sump contains all of the engine oil. (unless it's a dry sump).
Now, take that engine and flip it upside down. Where is all of that oil going to go? If you guessed on the bottom side of the piston you would be correct.
Gravity being gravity the oil wants to get to the lowest point. The lowest point is the cylinder head in this case. The oil will worm it's way through the ring gaps and fill the cylinder up. If your lucky, you will have a valve open and the oil will drain out the pipe or the carb. If your not, when you go to start the thing the oil will try to compress, but can't and BANG you will break the starter drive or bend your rod or other bad things.

Now I'm not saying that you can't stand a 4 stroke quad on it's tail to transport. What I am saying is, if you do, you should be careful. If I did this I would pull the plug out and see if any oil got past the rings before I turned the engine over.
On a two stroke you turn the gas off, strap it down and go.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

lol...why do you keep saying upside down, rofl...hes not fliping upside down omg its gonna be tilted like in a wheelie position, and you comparing a motorcycle to a car...no...the engine is separate from the tranny...on a bike its not the tranny is in sync with the crank, and im sure a chainsaw has a diff kinda carb then a motorcycle...lol, just because its a two stroke doesnt mean its gonna be the exact same

Quick Reply: Hauling 00 Banshee 350cc Upright