Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rough running kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running kodiak 450

I just bought a 2007 yamaha kodiak 450 last weekend and a few aspects of the bike surprised me. The bike was a demo and had under 600kms on it. Now, I have always ridden foot shift Honda wheelers in the past so so what i am about to list may just be characteristics of automatic bikes that i will have to get used to?

-I found that when riding the bike it always feels like it was in a low gear and that you really have to hit the throttle hard to overcome the engine braking, to get it up to any speed.

-Also, i found that the engine vibrates exessivly at certain speeds. So much so that my feet seem to buzz on the foot pegs.

-Is it normal for the bike to take a while to shift out of 4x4 and diff lock?

Are all of these symptoms known characteristics of these kind of bikes? Or do i have a problem on my hands?
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you go from a semi-auto gear drive machine to a full auto machine like your Kodiak it will seem completely different.

I have a semi-auto Bear Tracker and a full auto Kodiak 450.

The little Bear Tracker seems more responsive due to the drive arrangement, but the Kodiak has way more power.

The engine braking effect is something you will find that seems to take the longest to get used to, but once you do and go riding in some steep rocky terrain you will wonder how you ever did without it.

Auto's also seem different in the way they engage and accelerate but again if you do a lot of varying terrain riding you will love the absence of shifting and gear hunting that is required.

As for the perceived time delay for shifting in and out of 4X4 or diff. lock, Yamaha uses a electric servo to move the shift fork. It is very reliable and durable but the display on the instruments sometimes is delayed at showing when it's changed. That plus you sometimes need a little motion (or if your standing still you can rock the machine) to get it to engage or disengage. You can be moving (preferably at low speeds and loads) and still engage 4X4 or diff. lock. Just don't apply big power to it while you change it.

The 421cc engine is a little rough in the vibration department IMO. But it's a well built and reliable motor. Tire design and the surface your riding on have a big effect on the vibration you feel while riding.

Hope this helps?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have an 05 Kodiak 450. I think there needs to be "slack" in the diff to allow the 4x4 or diff lock to disengage. I will goose it, or stop and start to get it to disengage. As for the vibration I haven't noticed it much. However the other day I was riding a lot in 4x4 and I noticed one time when I went either in or out of 4x4 my seat started vibrating. It went away. It did it some more. I rode for 6 hours today and no vibration. I wonder if something is not moving all the way when disengaging causing it to be out of balance. You may also have brake squeak. This is common for the Kodiaks.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alright thanks for replies. The kodiak seems like an all around great bike, and i guess i am just going to have to get used to the automatic and everything else it brings with it.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

WTF?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

ha ha

Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Who was that and what was that all about? I see his post was removed.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Most likely a teenager who just got to summer vacation, and has too much time on his hands.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I never saw it?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do any of you guys have skid plates for your kodiaks? Do they make a big difference when going over obstacles or in deep snow? Also how does the Kodiak handle 2 people on the bike at the same time? Is it too much for the IRS?

Quick Reply: Rough running kodiak 450