Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Standing two ATV's in back of truck ok thing to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standing two ATV's in back of truck ok thing to do?

i was wandering if it would be ok if i were to stand an 02 bayou 220 and my 91 warrior in the back of a ford ranger with a 7.5 ft bed? i figured i would just drive the bayou up first then prop it in the wheelie position, then try to get the warrior set up behind the bayou stood up, its not a very big bed but i was thinking maybe i can also turn them side ways with the front wheels hanging over the side if it would be too dangerous to stand them up, i figured id turn the gas off both and go for it but idno if it would hurt anything, it would only be about a 20min ride or so down the highway then around the mountains. thanks for any help

Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Ive done it with 3 Jetmotos for a 5 hr drive.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

turning gas off is a very good idea .when the machine is out of the truck turn gas on and check to see if float is stuck. you'll know right away .just look at the bottom of the carb

Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

yea i might give it a try, but are those atvs 2 strokes? cuz i know 2 strokes if u turn the gas off your good to go the gearbox and crank and piston are separate chambers, also did you strap them down or anything or did they just sit still on the grab bars? thanks i guess ill give a try but how do you load and unload? itll be a little harder doing this with two 400+lb quads on a lil ford ranger, thanks

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not familiar with your atv's, but I have hauled them this way before. Besides turning off the gas, check the air filter to make sure no oil made its way back and saturated it (I know my preddy will do this) and bring a spare or cleaner just in case. Otherwise, good to go. I usually unloaded them without starting them and then let them sit for a few minutes just to let fluids settle.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

BTW ---- MYWIFESQUAD ------ Where in the world do you store all those atv's? That is quite a list! But, not as impressive as the packing job on the truck! I didn't know you could pack all that in one bed! Strong work!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

lol yea thanks, ill see what happends, btw how u like you preddy 500? fast? reliable? i either wanna get a predator 500 raptor 660, or maybe a z400 or something soon or later but im just not sure bout the predators as im afraid they might not last as long as the other bikes and the parts being to expensive maybe

Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I have had all three! 2002 raptor 660LE, 2005 z400, and two preddys.....They are all good in their own way. I push the raptors now, but not for a beginner as it has too much power, they need to put some rides on first imo. I did not like the first couple years of raptors....top heavy being my biggest complaint. But, they have made so many improvements and now they make an outstanding quad imo. Great on the trail, dunes, you name it. All the power and aftermarket mods you could ever want to afford! The z400 was great, lots of power (modded out), very light. I would say if you ride the track a lot, then the z400 is a good one. It is much cheaper than the raptor. The preddy's are the best bang for the buck imo....steel braided break lines, fox shocks with piggybacks, good lifetime axle, douglas rims, razr tires, etc. all for $5k. My 05 was stolen, which explains why I am on my second one! I am almost finished with this one and really like it. It is very quick, so far reliable. It is the fuji motor, they have been using it for a while and I haven't heard of any major or frequent problems. However, the preddy as we know it is retired and is now part of the outlaw lineup. Ktm builds the 525 for it and if you can afford it, go for it! KTM builds one hell of a motor and they are kicking a#@!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:11 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 91Warrior357

yea i might give it a try, but are those atvs 2 strokes? cuz i know 2 strokes if u turn the gas off your good to go the gearbox and crank and piston are separate chambers, also did you strap them down or anything or did they just sit still on the grab bars? thanks i guess ill give a try but how do you load and unload? itll be a little harder doing this with two 400+lb quads on a lil ford ranger, thanks</end quote></div>

nope all thumpers..yes all are strapped down. First one had a milk crate between the axle and the front of the truck.front wheels sit on top of truck(my truck is a beater and paint isnt importand I stand them up once they are in the bed(probably easier with a 8' bed)

getting them into position is much easier than taking them out. Tore 1 seat during that learning curve..

Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

BTW ---- MYWIFESQUAD ------ Where in the world do you store all those atv's? That is quite a list! But, not as impressive as the packing job on the truck! I didn't know you could pack all that in one bed! Strong work!</end quote></div>

Some are at home in the shed and some are at my shop...pics on my pic page.

Thanks....I was motivated by my oldest son saying there is no way your getting 3 quads and 2 dirt bikes in that truck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Standing two ATV's in back of truck ok thing to do?