Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

87 Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Banshee

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]i have a 2001 warrior and it has had nothing but problems since i bought it so i was thinking of selling it and buying something with more power and was wondering how reliable the older banshees are.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 87 Banshee

a blast to ride but there gonna need a rebuild way more often then a warrior will, there great bikes to own but it will take some getting used to if you ride in the woods like i do being as they do bout 80mph stock and have crappy low end power but very strong mid and top end power, ive been debating on getting one also myself, you get one id take very very good care of it, no joking around with a shee use good fuel and mix with it and make sure you have your filters set up nicely to keep all dirt out of then engine, i like how on my warrior you just gas n go on a banshee you gotta be on top of the maintenance, you also got two carbs to worry about, if there not running in sync with eachother its really bad for your bikes performance and life. i wouldnt reccomend anybody buying a shee that doesnt know a little about working on atv's either, your gonna be throwing out enough money having to buy two piston kits and boring out two cylinders and such on rebuilds its not gonna help when you gotta go to the stealership and pay out the *** on labor, good thing is its a two stroke no cams,timing chains,valves so there a little simpler then 4 strokes you just gotta take care of them and youll have a blast,id say they would prolly last a good 2 years or so b4 u need a rebuild depending on mods and how often you ride but i could be wrong

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 87 Banshee

my neighbor used to work on and race Yamahas and he has all the tools, and with the maintenance, I stayed on top of everything on my warrior, but the previous owner didn't . he never changed the oil and stuff like that, so the transmission is doing really funky things. I was looking at a banshee that was stock except for tires and fmf exhaust. I do go woods riding quite a bit but also race my friend on a homemade track.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default 87 Banshee

yea id say go for it, prolly would be a blast, would take some getting used to riding back in the woods but if u ride it on a home made track those bikes will rip, its also a good thing that if its only got a pipe and tires on it as for it will last longer with just a few simple mods instead of it being heavily modified, if i got one all i would want is toomey pipes, razr2 tires, k&n filters. when was it last rebuilt? and have you personally seen or ridden it?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default 87 Banshee

I think an '87 Banshee would be more headache than a '01 Warrior. Those Banshees are 21 years old, and if they havn't been completely rebuilt, everything on them is worn out. Plus the older Banshees had the less-than-desirable "J" arm front suspension. A few years later they switched to the better A-arm suspension.